Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See above post.

If I have a criticism of Blackstone it is that their chatty style contrives to gloss over aspects in the report that I think need addressing. The company I use is much more formal and views every deviation as potentially problematic - an approach I prefer.
As discussed the loss of viscosity is only serious relative to the oil's original viscosity. As I've mentioned I'd drill down on that and if a significant deviation react to it.

Shearing down of viscosity improvers is not trivial in an engine worked hard for prolonged periods. Viscosity improvers are what gives the oil its viscosity at higher temperatures (and thus its high temperature film strength) and are part of the additive package. Oils need changing not because the base oil is shot but because the additives have depleted. Additives are added in varying quantities by different manufacturers and different engines deplete them at different rates. Viscosity improvers are part of the additive package and thus deplete in service.
Viscosity improvers make multigrade oils possible. Without them you either have the required viscosity for high temperature protection and the compromised cold starting or, a thin base oil to facilitate cold starting and forgo high temperature protection.

To repeat myself though, the above is relevant to the oil's original viscosity when new - see manufacturer's TDS.
I’ve already decided to try another motor oil, probably Pennzoil. Not sure I agree with Blackstone having a “chatty style”, I only got one short paragraph from them. Unless, you mean their marketing approach, which is neither here nor there to me. Who does your analysis? Are they local to you? Which would make sense.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve already decided to try another motor oil, probably Pennzoil. Not sure I agree with Blackstone having a “chatty style”, I only got one short paragraph from them. Unless, you mean their marketing approach, which is neither here nor there to me. Who does your analysis? Are they local to you? Which would make sense.
This is the (UK) company that does mine:
Fluid Analysis Laboratory Conwy LL32 8FA United Kingdom Tel: 01492 574750 Fax: 01492 574778

Here is the comments section from the analysis that found the coolant in the oil:

''Abnormal sodium & potassium suggest coolant contamination. Sample has an abnormal level of Silicon suggesting possible ingress of environmental contamination. Advice : Pressure check coolant system (if applicable) and feedback findings before next sample. Check air induction system and change oil. Feedback findings of inspection before next sample. ''

A markedly different 'tone' than Backstone's - no?
Admittedly I'm comparing two reports one of which is reporting two serious issues and the other giving a clean bill of health but I recall seeing another Blackstone report that I thought the data showed something untoward which went uncommented on (a serious omission I thought) and the chatty tone gave the impression of 'nothing to see here'.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Admittedly I'm comparing two reports one of which is reporting two serious issues and the other giving a clean bill of health but I recall seeing another Blackstone report that I thought the data showed something untoward which went uncommented on (a serious omission I thought) and the chatty tone gave the impression of 'nothing to see here'.

Again FWIW, when I got the report from Blackstone that revealed the tiny coolant contamination in our Monte Carlo their tone was very different. The report is filed at my dad's house so I don't have it to look at right now, but they were adamant that there was an issue that needed investigating. I think the "chatty tone" you observe is pretty much only reserved for the clean bill of health samples.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again FWIW, when I got the report from Blackstone that revealed the tiny coolant contamination in our Monte Carlo their tone was very different. The report is filed at my dad's house so I don't have it to look at right now, but they were adamant that there was an issue that needed investigating. I think the "chatty tone" you observe is pretty much only reserved for the clean bill of health samples.
Agreed. I kinda feel like Less is More, as far as my report went.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that oil listed on report was noted as 5w/40. That may have been my fault or maybe on theirs, not that it matters. But what does matter is that it skewed the viscosity results. I spoke with them and they adjusted the results. All good and within spec! :headbang:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got two sample bottles just waiting to be filled and sent to Blackstone myself for my 95 and 92. Did a couple on my Dmax before I sold it. Always found it useful. This thread was a good read.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Blackstone do TBN and TAN, and maybe charge extra for it? In our extrusion presses, we had anywhere between 2000 and 3500 gallons of hydraulic fluid (depending on the size of the press), and we took monthly samples (with TAN twice a year). For viscosity, zinc (anti-wear), and other beneficial elements, we could throw in additives. We had kidney loop filtration systems running 24/7 to keep solids out. Unless a water/oil heat exchanger in our cooling systems ruptured we didn't have too many issues with H2O contamination. We even had a centrifuge to separate water from the oil.

But, if the Total Acid Number got too high, (you can't filter acid out of the oil) we had to change the oil - very expensive. It's not a good day when you see a couple 10 wheeler tankers pull up behind your press! :(

IDK if TAN will apply for our trucks since we change the oil fairly often but, just a thought...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score