Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I shelled out $30.00 for a snapshot inside my 5.7, I know it is mostly useless unless it’s done over an extended period. But at the same time it does give an idea of current condition. Also did transmission fluid, which I’m curious to see, but that didn’t come in yet. Anyway, numbers look really good for motor oil.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know anything about oil analysis. Is it supposed to see what materials (metals) are in your oil, as an bearing material? Like you can go back in time and put that metal material back into the bearings, right? :D

What was your goal? And what's the purpose of the transmission oil analysis? To "find" friction material in it? I think that would be normal in any automatic transmission that uses clutches, no? Unless it's a CVT?

I know this is a highly subjective topic about engine oil type, brand, weight, synthetic vs conventional, oil filter brand, etc. I honestly try to avoid falling into the bandwagon of one or the other.

I did recently watch a bit of this video. After watching it and thinking about it, not sure I'm entirely convinced that caked-on oil rings caused that severely worn cylinders. I'm not entirely sure? But don't claim to be an expert anyways?

According to that dude, an oil analysis is not meaningful, at least not for the point he's trying to make. I think that's what I understood? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know anything about oil analysis. Is it supposed to see what materials (metals) are in your oil, as an bearing material?

That's part of it, but they'll also tell you a lot of other stuff. How much life is left in your oil at the point you changed it, whether or not your oil viscosity is what it should be, and if there are any other contaminants that aren't supposed to be there (like fuel or coolant) to name a few.

I get all my vehicles' oil checked by Blackstone every couple years, it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. They saved the engine in my dad's Monte Carlo after he had it rebuilt by identifying a tiny amount of coolant in the oil. Turns out there was a small crack in one of the heads that wasn't caught during the rebuild. Thanks to Blackstone we investigated and solved that before it caused any further damage.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I do Blackstone analysis on my daily driver Chevy Cruze EVERY oil change and whenever I change oil on my classics to check for anything abnormal to keep an eye on. $30 is very cheap insurance to prolong engine life.

I've tightened up my oil change interval on my Cruze because of the analysis results. Nothing too bad but they said the oil was beginning to break down at the extended interval and could start causing damage if I continued at the current rate.

EDIT, also I had mystery oil in a classic I had just purchased and it came back not so great but after a few emails they confirmed that there could have been a few reasons for those results like stuck rings after sitting for 10+ years or something so I'll come back after 1000 miles for another check. They are great responding to emails and answering questions.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you can go back in time and put that metal material back into the bearings, right? :D

What was your goal? And what's the purpose of the transmission oil analysis?
I can only speak for my truck and knowing before an issue becomes an unfixable issue(like coolant or premature failure of specific part)is worth it. $30.00 is a small price to pay for mine, if you don’t see that for yours, then that’s your call.
And no I’m not saving any of the metals to reapply to motor.
Also, if you look at report, I’m using Walmart Super Tech oil, so not sure why your questioning my oil type. Clearly I’m not falling into the “best” oil debate.
I do Blackstone analysis on my daily driver Chevy Cruze EVERY oil change and whenever I change oil on my classics to check for anything abnormal to keep an eye on. $30 is very cheap insurance to prolong engine life.
^^^

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can only speak for my truck and knowing before an issue becomes an unfixable issue(like coolant or premature failure of specific part)is worth it. $30.00 is a small price to pay for mine, if you don’t see that for yours, then that’s your call.
And no I’m not saving any of the metals to reapply to motor.
Also, if you look at report, I’m using Walmart Super Tech oil, so not sure why your questioning my oil type. Clearly I’m not falling into the “best” oil debate.

^^^
Sorry, I apologize; I wasn't trying to be a a$$ :-(

I was just asking a question about what the purpose of oil analysis was, that's it. And I clearly didn't know what that was.

That's the same oil I use. What I meant to say is that "generally" folks can fall into debates about oil brand, etc. I wasn't referring to you and didn't see the oil brand on your attachment.

Again, sorry.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil analysis is good for checking the condition of your engine without tearing it down. It can catch problems before they get bad. Also, if you're selling a vehicle, it's a little bit of extra reassurance you can give your buyer. The engines in my team's race car have been rock solid - all our problems have been money shifts or bad parts. Still, our team captain sends oil samples in every couple of races just to make sure the bearings aren't coming apart or anything else stupid.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a valid procedure. Especially useful in industrial machines/equipment where production losses can be rather $teep, and 'rebuilds' need to be planned, budgeted and scheduled.

Looks like there was still a lot of life left in your oil ..any ideas what caused the low viscosity?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's part of it, but they'll also tell you a lot of other stuff. How much life is left in your oil at the point you changed it, whether or not your oil viscosity is what it should be, and if there are any other contaminants that aren't supposed to be there (like fuel or coolant) to name a few.
I get that with my analysis service - whether to change or 'continue to next service interval.
I get all my vehicles' oil checked by Blackstone every couple years, it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. They saved the engine in my dad's Monte Carlo after he had it rebuilt by identifying a tiny amount of coolant in the oil. Turns out there was a small crack in one of the heads that wasn't caught during the rebuild. Thanks to Blackstone we investigated and solved that before it caused any further damage.
Analysis found coolant that identified failed inlet manifold gaskets on my 5.7. With my smart, dirt in the oil was flagged up and I was never getting on top of. Until the rebuild when I reverted back to a standard paper air filter.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like there was still a lot of life left in your oil ..any ideas what caused the low viscosity?
Good question. I'm wondering (given the test is at 100C) if the viscosity improvers haven't 'sheared down'. Unless the original viscosity was closer to the 11.6cSt than 15.3 cSt, that loss of viscosity would be reason enough for me to change it. Especially if the engine is worked hard for extended periods.