Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I apologize; I wasn't trying to be a a$$ :-(

I was just asking a question about what the purpose of oil analysis was, that's it. And I clearly didn't know what that was.

That's the same oil I use. What I meant to say is that "generally" folks can fall into debates about oil brand, etc. I wasn't referring to you and didn't see the oil brand on your attachment.

Again, sorry.
All good bro! Your not completely wrong, it’s not like you’re getting results from bloodwork. But it’s a slight window into what’s going on inside and you take what you can get I guess. If my truck had 200k on motor I probably wouldn’t do this, but at 71K it seems reasonable. I really was wondering if there might be a slight bit of coolant leaking as noted by Blackstone tech that these motors are notorious for.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like there was still a lot of life left in your oil ..any ideas what caused the low viscosity?

Good question. I'm wondering (given the test is at 100C) if the viscosity improvers haven't 'sheared down'. Unless the original viscosity was closer to the 11.6cSt than 15.3 cSt, that loss of viscosity would be reason enough for me to change it. Especially if the engine is worked hard for extended periods.

FWIW, multiple samples from my vehicles that I've sent to Blackstone for analysis have tested similarly to Caman96's in regards to viscosity. Just slightly under spec, but not enough to worry about according to them. This is from both my usual mechanic's bulk conventional (I'm not sure what brand he uses now), and bottled Pennzoil conventional.

It would be interesting to see the results of a viscosity test on a clean, unused sample of the exact oil used in the vehicle for comparison's sake.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a valid procedure. Especially useful in industrial machines/equipment where production losses can be rather $teep, and 'rebuilds' need to be planned, budgeted and scheduled.

Looks like there was still a lot of life left in your oil ..any ideas what caused the low viscosity?
I’m not sure why it was low. I’m not sure if there’s anything I could do about it, at the same time report didn’t seem too concerned about it. Maybe run 10w/30 in summer and 5w/40 in winter. I’m open to suggestions…..

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if that’s a condition of Super Tech oil or is it my truck? Not like it’s running hot, I actually posted a recent thread on was my truck running too cool. Not to be confused with WayCoolJr! :deal:
You must be registered for see images attach

herkyhawki

Reaction score
Slightly high fuel in oil sample also contributes to lower viscosity. Does not indicate anything on one sample, but watch it over time. I've been using Blackstone samples of over 20 years, and it becomes very useful information over time. With price of newer vehicles so high, it is a very cheap investment to trend what is going on inside.
After testing one engine for years, a sample showed a high amount of coolant. Blackstone called me right away to give me heads up, and I found and fixed intake gasket before running much time on diluted oil, so I think it is more than worth it.
I'm not paid in any way by Blackstone. I have 6 vehicles and run them all several hundred-thousand miles, but am sometimes able to spot which ones to sell "as-is" before there is any real big problem.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly high fuel in oil sample also contributes to lower viscosity. Does not indicate anything on one sample, but watch it over time. I've been using Blackstone samples of over 20 years, and it becomes very useful information over time. With price of newer vehicles so high, it is a very cheap investment to trend what is going on inside.
After testing one engine for years, a sample showed a high amount of coolant. Blackstone called me right away to give me heads up, and I found and fixed intake gasket before running much time on diluted oil, so I think it is more than worth it.
I'm not paid in any way by Blackstone. I have 6 vehicles and run them all several hundred-thousand miles, but am sometimes able to spot which ones to sell "as-is" before there is any real big problem.
“The viscosity is low, but it’s not due to fuel dilution” - Blackstone Labs

I agree fuel dilution can cause this, but not in this case.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually posted a recent thread on was my truck running too cool. Not to be confused with WayCoolJr! :deal:
WCJr runs a rock-solid 185-190°F depending on the weather, but it's losing a bit of coolant somewhere... I should probably get the oil analyzed.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless the original viscosity was closer to the 11.6cSt than 15.3 cSt, that loss of viscosity would be reason enough for me to change it.
The above should have read closer to the 15.3cSt than 11.6 cSt

Viscosity in cSt at that temperature (100C) can usually be found on the oil's published tech data sheet and usually available on the 'net.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the results of a viscosity test on a clean, unused sample of the exact oil used in the vehicle for comparison's sake.
See above post.
FWIW, multiple samples from my vehicles that I've sent to Blackstone for analysis have tested similarly to Caman96's in regards to viscosity. Just slightly under spec, but not enough to worry about according to them. This is from both my usual mechanic's bulk conventional (I'm not sure what brand he uses now), and bottled Pennzoil conventional.
If I have a criticism of Blackstone it is that their chatty style contrives to gloss over aspects in the report that I think need addressing. The company I use is much more formal and views every deviation as potentially problematic - an approach I prefer.
As discussed the loss of viscosity is only serious relative to the oil's original viscosity. As I've mentioned I'd drill down on that and if a significant deviation react to it.

Shearing down of viscosity improvers is not trivial in an engine worked hard for prolonged periods. Viscosity improvers are what gives the oil its viscosity at higher temperatures (and thus its high temperature film strength) and are part of the additive package. Oils need changing not because the base oil is shot but because the additives have depleted. Additives are added in varying quantities by different manufacturers and different engines deplete them at different rates. Viscosity improvers are part of the additive package and thus deplete in service.
Viscosity improvers make multigrade oils possible. Without them you either have the required viscosity for high temperature protection and the compromised cold starting or, a thin base oil to facilitate cold starting and forgo high temperature protection.

To repeat myself though, the above is relevant to the oil's original viscosity when new - see manufacturer's TDS.