New GM L31 crate engine has awful oil pan noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still, the quality of workmanship at the dealers is generally quite good--and with a dealer install there is the 36k warranty on parts AND labor.

I do hate turning my trucks over to somebody else to work on though.........

I agree there. Take advantage of the umbrella they offer but in my case I want too much new under the hood so I'm sure they would be banking if I took it there lol. I think I may have to go to the dealer anyways. I'm predicting sel for distributor and abs for trapping air. Shoot even wheel sensor since I've replaced both from rock auto

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Especially with the 4wd's because the motor has to be lifted up for the pan to clear the crossmember......
You can leave the motor and trans bolted in. If you remove I think 4 bolts securing the front diff to the frame you can lower it a down just enough to wiggle the pan out. First remove starter, oil filter housing, lower trans bell-housing cover, whatever else.
Typing this post churned up some bad memories fighting oil cooler lines. Let the dealer deal with it lol

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had local dealership install that engine in my truck and it has that same rattle. I just assumed it was normal since they didn’t mention it. My oil pressure is always good.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safest bet is to let GM handle it...surely.
The average technician stays in the field about four years. I don't trust dealership technicians to do the job right.

I bet they will charge you for a bunch of stuff you already replaced., but if they don't put it on new it will void your warranty.
They can try, but I think it'll be the dealership making that argument, not GM. If you have recent receipts for the parts, give them copies. If they want new parts, put them on notice in writing that you want them to prove your parts are faulty, in writing. Make the case that if they want to replace parts on speculation, they can do that on their dime, because it was their faulty engine in the first place.

Best piece of advice, start emailing, screw phonecalls. If you email them you have all the records automatically, no back and forth about you said this or that.
Yup, CYA. I keep important work emails forever.

Finally, I'd be really inquisitive about the new motor. Make damn sure you get the 383 you paid for, and that the dealership doesn't play switcheroo with a cheap "fast burn 350".

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure if its the same, but when we put a 383 in the Burb, we didn't pound out the oil pan enough and the back of the crankshaft hits the back of the oil pan until it warms up. sounds kinda like a diesel at first. I guess check the clearances for the crankshaft if you pull the pan.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read your warranty well it may state certain new parts must be installed for warranty. Even though you just put them on they were ran so they are not new anymore.Be careful cover your butt with them. Personally I think you better do it youself,, you are just as able as them ,probably more able they have probably never removed an engine from one of these trucks little lone taken a basic 350 apart unless you are lucky to have an oltimer working in your dealership that has done one, highly doubtful these days..

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there!
That is the sound of the oil pump pickup resting against the bottom of oil pan, vibrating. If this continues the pickup could fall out of the pump completely, causing a loss of oil pressure. Maybe it already has. Mine did(twice) and I only noticed loss of oil pressure while braking heavy. When that happened I could slap the outside of the oil pan and hear the pickup bounce inside.
I would hold off on completely replacing the engine. It depends on what you find once you take the oil pan off, but this issue by itself shouldn't damage your engine. Maybe get GM to give you an extended warranty or something.
When you open it up, make sure to position the oil pickup correctly. Give it a couple spot welds between the pickup and pump to secure it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

[mention]honkon [/mention] did your noise go away or at least get quieter as your oil warmed up?

I just drove it today for the first time and got it fully warm the the noise was probably 80% quieter. Which makes me wonder if the pickup is sitting on the bottom of the pan why heat would make it quiet down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[mention]honkon [/mention] did your noise go away or at least get quieter as your oil warmed up?

I just drove it today for the first time and got it fully warm the the noise was probably 80% quieter. Which makes me wonder if the pickup is sitting on the bottom of the pan why heat would make it quiet down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change in oil viscosity? Causing less of the pulsating effect? (Guessing here).