New GM L31 crate engine has awful oil pan noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fragment

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet they will charge you for a bunch of stuff you already replaced., but if they don't put it on new it will void your warranty. Like spark plugs ,possibly cap and rotor intake gaskets plug wires. Also charge for silicone antifreeze oil plus all disposal . It wont be just a no charge R&R deal.

You think so? Cause I’m not doing that.

Did this engine totally right. As many OE parts as I could find etc. hell even the lower intake manifold is a shiny new Delphi part.

Which is why I’m so hesitant to let them jack with it.

Probably going to do it myself. If it doesn’t fix the problem, we’ll see where I go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not yet I don’t.

I was trying to get the guy to tell me that before close of business today but no reply... so tempted to fix that thing tomorrow morning and be done with it.

Best piece of advice, start emailing, screw phonecalls. If you email them you have all the records automatically, no back and forth about you said this or that. If you ever have to escalate you have all your records right there and can forward them to whatever manager or rep if they put you in contact with someone else.

Working at a dealership, 99% of our issues come from miscommunications over the phone, and if the dealer you're dealing with is unscrupulous, it also gives them more ways to weasel out of something they promised. You can't walk back something you said in writing, at least not as easily. Also, ask for managers and throw a fit if they try to BS you, it works at my dealer 99.9% of the time LOL.

Hope you get this sorted man, seems like a real ****** situation.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How well do you trust the GM techs? I'd talk with the GMPP dealer and let them know you have a new oil pump on the way, and have the GM dealership try that first. If it fixes it, GM can reimburse you. If not, jump to the engine swap and the oil pump was on your dime.

I wouldn't worry too much about pumping metal through the engine, the very first destination for the oil is the oil filter. Throw a new filter on there and call it good.

Those would be my options too.

Although the stealerships are stupidly expensive, they generally do good work. And most techs I know would like the chance to install a new motor in a 25 year old truck. I'd look the service manager in the eye and let him know you took the time to install the engine right.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You think so? Cause I’m not doing that.

Did this engine totally right. As many OE parts as I could find etc. hell even the lower intake manifold is a shiny new Delphi part.

Which is why I’m so hesitant to let them jack with it.

Probably going to do it myself. If it doesn’t fix the problem, we’ll see where I go from there.

If it comes to the dealership replacing the motor, make a list of new parts installed and hand that to the service manager too.

It's also about hooking up and routing all the wires, etc, correctly. Let them know you did it right.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it comes to the dealership replacing the motor, make a list of new parts installed and hand that to the service manager too.

It's also about hooking up and routing all the wires, etc, correctly. Let them know you did it right.

Biggest reason why I'm doing my motor swap myself. Face it nobody cares and treats it like there own unless its theirs:)

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re probably all right... I’m just nervous about causing a leak on a new engine on an oil pan that’s difficult to try and reseal.

Do so wish that things could just go right the first time around but they never seem to.

Your not alone. I'll have to hold my breath. I'm really curious how that 383 will come to me. Hopefully no damage or issues. I hate to send it back.....

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re probably all right... I’m just nervous about causing a leak on a new engine on an oil pan that’s difficult to try and reseal.

Do so wish that things could just go right the first time around but they never seem to.

Especially with the 4wd's because the motor has to be lifted up for the pan to clear the crossmember......

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Biggest reason why I'm doing my motor swap myself. Face it nobody cares and treats it like there own unless its theirs:)

Still, the quality of workmanship at the dealers is generally quite good--and with a dealer install there is the 36k warranty on parts AND labor.

I do hate turning my trucks over to somebody else to work on though.........