Oil Pan Leak 97 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you install the pan to the block without gaskets or anything.. does the pan sit flush on the block or does it feel warped?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the very bottom of the block , do you see any imperfections? Also I doubt it will make a difference, but do you have actual pan bolts instead of those Allen head bolts?

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the very bottom of the block , do you see any imperfections? Also I doubt it will make a difference, but do you have actual pan bolts instead of those Allen head bolts?
No everything is straight. The only imperfection I see is the timing cover has a gap and it's kinda not flush you can see in the picture the timing cover is not straight at the bottom where it meets the pan. There is gap. I just today filled it with rtv hoping it'll stop it leaking from the front. No that's how the block came with those allen bolts. I had to give my core so the only thing I kept was the reinforcement plates so you don't bend the pan.

Attachments

• 20231108_181814.jpg
    20231108_181814.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 10

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked about the block being the stock one or not, because if it’s an older block and it’s machined to accept a mechanical fuel pump, it will have two bolt holes on the front of the block right in front of where the pump would mount. One of the holes, the top one if recall correctly, is machined all the way through. It requires a 3/8” bolt to keep it from pumping oil out. It looks like it would be directly above where you took that picture.

I figure you already know this, but it never hurts to go back to basics and keep it simple.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure what year this block is but it's not the original. Mine was originally a 2 bolt main. This one is a 4 bolt main. Yeah it does have that cover for the fuel pump but it's completely dry no oil from there

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it’s an older block and it’s machined to accept a mechanical fuel pump, it will have two bolt holes on the front of the block right in front of where the pump would mount. One of the holes, the top one if recall correctly, is machined all the way through. It requires a 3/8” bolt to keep it from pumping oil out. It looks like it would be directly above where you took that picture.
Yeah it does have that cover for the fuel pump but it's completely dry no oil from there
He's not talking about leaking from the fuel pump boss cover.

He's talking about a pair of open bolt-holes around the front of the block from the fuel pump cover.

They used to be bolt-holes for the front engine mounts in '55--'57, but they kept machining the holes long after the front engine mounts were discontinued.

Two bolt holes, vertically-arranged. One or both breaks into the crankcase, and therefore leaks oil mist.

Photo shamelessly stolen from The Internet, and lightly massaged, flipped, and reversed.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you look on the other side of the block, you'll find the two holes for the left-front mount.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a look here and see if there’s a bolt, or try and stick a small screwdriver or pick into the hole and see how far it goes. If it only goes in 1/2” to 3/4” it’s not machined all the way. If it goes in further, put a bolt with rtv on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

My photo was not shamelessly stolen from the internet, but beer’s were harmed in the taking of it in my garage.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I checked to see if it was coming from that bolt hole you said but it's dry. Found out where it's pouring from. the timing cover towards the bottom where the gasket for the timing cover ends has a big ass gap. And it's pouring out from there. I filled it with rtv but it still leaks from there. I'm pretty sure it's suppose to sit flush with the engine and it's not which is causes a gap between the timing cover and oil pan. The seal of the timing cover is causing it to bend the end and causing that gap. You can see where I circled in red there's a big gap. The seal of the timing cover is causing the cover not to sit right on both sides

Attachments

• 20231109_155249.jpg
    20231109_155249.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231109_155233.jpg
    20231109_155233.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 14