K1500 oil pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coldsteel5

Reaction score
I've got a 98 Z71 w/ 102k miles, stock height. It's had a slow oil leak for a while now, appears to be leaking from where timing cover meets the oil pan or the crank seal. Also noticed rear of oil pan is wet w/ oil. Getting the ambition to do timing cover and oil pan gaskets. I've searched around quite a bit trying to find the easiest way from others experience on dropping the oil pan. Some say raise engine, others say just undo the bolts & lower the front diff to get clearance. I'd like to just lower or remove the front diff, will I be able to get the pan out just by lowering the diff, or will I still need to raise engine? Will the exhaust be in the way? Any input from others experience would be great

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider removing the engine. You won't be doing critical work while working on your back like a pro_stitute.

While the engine is out, you can work in relative comfort, with the engine upside-down on an engine stand instead of you on a sheet of cardboard.

As long as you're in there, you might as well reseal "everything", although you might want to verify timing chain slack beforehand. The Vortec core short-block I bought had a timing set that was so wonderful I re-used it.

With the engine out, you have a convenient opportunity to verify the exhaust manifolds aren't cracked, the distributor is still good, intake gaskets can get freshened, etc.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
While pulling the engine is the best way, either dropping the diff or lifting the engine slightly will both work... years ago I had a rust pinhole in the pan of my 93 K1500 and the easiest (for me) was to lift the engine slightly to replace it. Take your time and clean all the surfaces off thoroughly and you'll be fine rolling on your back.

coldsteel5

Reaction score
I dropped the diff when I did mine. It's not a lot of extra work, and gives you a LOT more room to work. Exhaust is behind the engine enough that it doesn't interfere.
Thanks for all the feedback. Think I will try to pull out the diff to get access. Does the flex plate cover have to come off to drop the oil pan?

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 98 Z71 w/ 102k miles, stock height. It's had a slow oil leak for a while now, appears to be leaking from where timing cover meets the oil pan or the crank seal. Also noticed rear of oil pan is wet w/ oil. Getting the ambition to do timing cover and oil pan gaskets. I've searched around quite a bit trying to find the easiest way from others experience on dropping the oil pan. Some say raise engine, others say just undo the bolts & lower the front diff to get clearance. I'd like to just lower or remove the front diff, will I be able to get the pan out just by lowering the diff, or will I still need to raise engine? Will the exhaust be in the way? Any input from others experience would be great
This is what I did, I lowered the diff and removed the cross over pipe just in case.

Removing the engine seems like so much more work. Yes, you would have access to everything else, question is...do you really need to access all this depending on your situation. I also didn't have a hoist so I dropped the diff.