Oil Pan Leak 97 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The royal blue circle is the seal of the timing cover. The white shows how bent the cover is at that bolt. And the green is the big ass gap there is that basically goes up into the timing cover. So when I turn it on it literally starts pouring from there

Attachments

• 20231109_155233.jpg
    20231109_155233.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My question now is do I cut that peace off the gasket so it can sit right? At that end? And fill the spot I cut off with rtv? Have you guys had this problem installing the timing cover. Whoever rebuilt this engine did a ****** job

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My question now is do I cut that peace off the gasket so it can sit right? At that end? And fill the spot I cut off with rtv? Have you guys had this problem installing the timing cover. Whoever rebuilt this engine did a ****** job
If it was me, I put a new cover, new gaskets , and install everything by the book. Keep your eyes open for anything else. Nows the time to take care of it.
Don't feel to bad. I got a ht383e from gm and the rear is starting to seep oil. I need to replace the rear main seal but been procrastinating. Take your time use oem or felpro parts

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't think the seal of new timing cover will cause it to bend again? And that very end spot? I always use gm parts. The engine has 4 years warranty so they pay me out for anything I have to change.. it's super frustrating cuz it's basically new not even 1000 miles yet.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think so because you never know if the cover was over torqued or forced. There's actually a really good video on you tube of a guy rebuilding his vortec 350 .

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think so because you never know if the cover was over torqued or forced. There's actually a really good video on you tube of a guy rebuilding his vortec 350 .
Oh okay. Have you heard anything good about using the holley timing cover?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fast forward this to 18:00. Guy mentions your gap.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I bought a crate from gm, And for my install I used all oem parts listed by gm. I have no experience with holley.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fast forward this to 18:00. Guy mentions your gap.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I bought a crate from gm, And for my install I used all oem parts listed by gm. I have no experience with holley.
The wild part is I put sealer there when I put the new oil pan. Cuz it says it in the book. I think that bead needs to be applied when installing the timing cover. Cuz I followed all the instructions and still leaks from there. I use the ultra grey rtv and let it sit for 24hrs before I put oil and still leaks. I was reading a couple other forums about people talking about how the plastic ones always leak. Alot of them starting using the holley aluminum covers and apparently those don't leak and sit flush where the plastic has the gap

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They could be right. I've also heard bad things about this plastic cover. It even says not reusable. But I've never had to replace mine on the original motor. That one had 425k miles