Looking for a HP performance Trans 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I shouldn't tempt fate like this, but in my experience, the newer Burb (06) with the 6.0/ 4L80E is the one I've had lots more trouble with than the older Burb 5.7 vortec/4l60e.
The 4L80E transmission temperature sensor is a $12 part that is more trouble than the truck is worth to replace.
And don't get me started on the 6.0.......

bharrison1950

Reaction score
I shouldn't tempt fate like this, but in my experience, the newer Burb (06) with the 6.0/ 4L80E is the one I've had lots more trouble with than the older Burb 5.7 vortec/4l60e.
The 4L80E transmission temperature sensor is a $12 part that is more trouble than the truck is worth to replace.
I'm curious as to what your reply is on the 6.0 as I have a 2011 Sierra with a 6.0

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Temp sensor only requires dropping the pan, doesn't seem that big of a deal to me?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how much some have spent on "built" 4L60E's before they gave up and put a boneyard 4L80E in for the win. :D

Richard

About $3K. Maybe that was rhetorical...

On the subject, those 4L70/75Es are in the neighborhood of $4K. I had my entire 4L80E swap done for less money than that including parts and labor. Didn't touch anything myself. And that was including $500 worth of AN lines and fittings. You can get it done much cheaper than I did, and you'll have a transmission that doesn't suffer from any of the issues the 60/70/75Es do.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much some have spent on "built" 4L60E's before they gave up and put a boneyard 4L80E in for the win.
Well I'm even dumber:head3:, I have $2200 stuck in a 700R4 Stage 2 (600HP rated) mail order trans my son and I stuck in. Burned up my original one twice before I did that. Now I'm just waiting for it to bite the dust. Then I can figure out a way to jamb a 4L80E and aux controller in my 88.
:doh2::flamingdevil:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm even dumber:head3:, I have $2200 stuck in a 700R4 Stage 2 (600HP rated) mail order trans my son and I stuck in. Burned up my original one twice before I did that. Now I'm just waiting for it to bite the dust. Then I can figure out a way to jamb a 4L80E and aux controller in my 88.
:doh2::flamingdevil:
Hey, don't beat yourself up.. or your transmission.. :D Remember, I've blown up countless 700R4's and 4L60E's and yet I still had the one in my SS rebuilt just last year. It's a timebomb and it's my daily. I just try not to beat it mercilessly anymore; I save that for the SRT8! (it's faster anyway!)

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, don't beat yourself up.. or your transmission..
What's the fun in that? 2 years ago I did the top end (keeping the TBI setup to see what I could and could not do/get out of it) and when the bottom end goes out I'll do a 383 short block. Then I KNOW my 700R4 won't be happy!:biggun:
Hell, It's only money, LOL!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

HotWheels, is that the Denali SUV with the 6.0 you have mentioned before? Aren't those equipped with 4L60e or 4L65e? Maybe I'm wrong?

Now back to the 4L80, if you consider that the TH400/4L80e were used in heavy buses, RVs, and 3/4 & 1 ton trucks/vans, as well as the GMT 400 3500HD, then yes they are heavy and overbuilt. They had to.

But what I didn't realize (and most probably don't either) is that they were also used in Jaguars, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and even a Ferrari, that says a lot of that tranny...I'm sure I may be forgetting some other manufacturers. Sure, those manufacturers probably took stock GM transmissions and fine tuned them to their specs, but DANG!

Man, I fell bad now because the OP is asking something, and were are recommending something else...I'm out, LOL.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
HotWheels, is that the Denali SUV with the 6.0 you have mentioned before? Aren't those equipped with 4L60e or 4L65e? Maybe I'm wrong?

Now back to the 4L80, if you consider that the TH400/4L80e were used in heavy buses, RVs, and 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, as well as the GMT 400 3500HD, then yes they are heavy and overbuilt. They had to.

But what I didn't realize (and most probably don't either) is that they were used in Jaguars, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and even a Ferrari, that says a lot of that tranny...I'm sure I may be forgetting some other manufacturers. Sure, those manufacturers probably took stock GM transmissions and fine tuned them to their specs, but DANG!

Man, I fell bad now because the OP is asking something, and were are recommending something else...I'm out, LOL.

We're trying to help the guy, not empty his wallet. A lot of us have been down that road and don't want to go back.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But what I didn't realize (and most probably don't either) is that they were also used in Jaguars, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and even a Ferrari, that says a lot of that tranny...I'm sure I may be forgetting some other manufacturers. Sure, those manufacturers probably took stock GM transmissions and fine tuned them to their specs, but DANG!

I've told a few people in jest that I swapped a Bentley transmission into my red truck. :lol:

We're trying to help the guy, not empty his wallet. A lot of us have been down that road and don't want to go back.

This, 100%.