Looking for a HP performance Trans 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for some input on some well built transmissions.
Anyone have some experence with some companies?
I am looking at perfomabuilt,Gearstare, or Monster level 2 models
I have mine rebuilt local and have been through 3
And I don,t bet the truck except for some snow.
IT came up with a code saying I needed 2nd gear selinod and when inspected burn fluid and pump.
So here we go again
Thanks in Advance
Skip

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was it the same shop rebuilding every time? Or different shops?

Maybe the same guy is making the same mistake? Seems strange they would all go out. Are you 100% stock. Tires as well? Definitely need more info.

I've seen guys say they are blowing trannies left and right and after 3 pages of thread he finally discloses he's got a blower or something, LOL.

Check out Precision Transmission on YT. The guy is a Master. I believe they are in Amarillo, TX and he recently said they don't do carry out work anymore because folks were messing up installation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAV6BAgDEAE&usg=AOvVaw20wPMke4XJyxq0aOlrZPQD

But honestly, after 3, I'd do a 4L80e swap if you can turn a wrench. They are not super hard to do, but they are not a direct drop in, bolt-on either. I've never heard of anyone doing an 80 and regretting it.

Good luck.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was it the same shop rebuilding every time? Or different shops?

I'm beginning to think that it is one 4L60E transmission and it's been through the hands of everyone that's ever posted here about a weak 4l60E. OK, maybe there's two of them as df2x4 has his abandoned in the back of his garage - or maybe it's time he checked that it's still there....

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the same shop. suposably the last shop that did a rebuild put heavier duty clutches and such thought he was a good rebuilder.
truck is a 383 with 32 inch tires and 410 gears. Like I said I do not beat on truck. I think I just got rushed work and a rebuild not a remanufactured as ordered. Do not want to go 4l80e .Thats why I am looking for input on a well built 4l60e

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the same shop. suposably the last shop that did a rebuild put heavier duty clutches and such thought he was a good rebuilder.
truck is a 383 with 32 inch tires and 410 gears. Like I said I do not beat on truck. I think I just got rushed work and a rebuild not a remanufactured as ordered. Do not want to go 4l80e .Thats why I am looking for input on a well built 4l60e

Been there. Same story accept I got the nickname transmission killer lol. I dont even drive that hard accept on ramps or catching a yellow light.
So I dont know monster transmissions but wouldn't mind finding out more about them. I personally went with a gm stock tranny and got the 3 yr warranty

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not get a 4L80? if been thru 3 trans obviously they don't hold up.

This. So much this. Stop torturing yourself with the 60Es.

I'm beginning to think that it is one 4L60E transmission and it's been through the hands of everyone that's ever posted here about a weak 4l60E. OK, maybe there's two of them as df2x4 has his abandoned in the back of his garage - or maybe it's time he checked that it's still there....

Oh it's still there, and still quite broken.

truck is a 383

Do the 4L80E swap. I killed a $2K+ 4L60E rebuild with a V6.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whatever you do stay away from Monster Transmission. Garbage. A quick Google search will confirm that.

If I had to recommend somewhere to buy a 4L60E from (please don't do it) I'd suggest Hughes or Gearstar.