97 Suburban 4L60e slipping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking for advice and input on my current situation. I was driving on Friday as was well till I tried to accelerate but couldn't instead my speed dropped slowly pressing the gas only made the rpms go up ended up coasting from the far right lane (75 mph) to the left by the time I reached the end of the guard rail I was going 25 mph went down the side of highway and into a parking lot where i accessed the situation. The engine bay was drenched in transmission fluid turns out the inlet hose for the transmission cooler popped off ended up being towed home the following morning I got to work cleaning the engine bay and replacing the hose then putting in three quarts of transmission fluid (checked level; good). Attempted to drive around the block however only the rpms went up yet only going 20 mph went home and using the outlet side of the oil cooler I pumped out what I could the fluid was black afterwards I put more clean fluid just to have the same results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_123916_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_123916_Video Player.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240106_115512.jpg
    IMG_20240106_115512.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 2

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully @NickTransmissions will chime in with the bad news. Low on fluid causes slippage, slippage causes heat to build and that damages components and clutches and turns fluid dark. I think I got that right but again, @NickTransmissions will tell you in way better technical terms. Whatever is done, make sure the work includes flushing the lines and cooler and maybe even a new cooler. Little bits of debris can get trapped in the cooler and then let loose and recirculate when the new transmission is in.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking for advice and input on my current situation. I was driving on Friday as was well till I tried to accelerate but couldn't instead my speed dropped slowly pressing the gas only made the rpms go up ended up coasting from the far right lane (75 mph) to the left by the time I reached the end of the guard rail I was going 25 mph went down the side of highway and into a parking lot where i accessed the situation. The engine bay was drenched in transmission fluid turns out the inlet hose for the transmission cooler popped off ended up being towed home the following morning I got to work cleaning the engine bay and replacing the hose then putting in three quarts of transmission fluid (checked level; good). Attempted to drive around the block however only the rpms went up yet only going 20 mph went home and using the outlet side of the oil cooler I pumped out what I could the fluid was black afterwards I put more clean fluid just to have the same results.
So you have re-filled the transmission and confirmed it was to the proper level (fluid at the "full-hot" mark on the dipstick when vehicle is running and at operating temp?

If so and the fluid is coming out black its time to yank it for overhaul. 3-4 pack is wiped, forwards are probably stressed as well...Flush out all of your lines as well as internal and external transmission cooler so your fresh rebuild isn't contaminated by what's in those lines now.

How many miles on the transmission?

Check out my 4L60E Info thread (link is in my signature) for more info on parts, procedures, build strategy and corrective measures to take upon overhaul. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help once you get started.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you have re-filled the transmission and confirmed it was to the proper level (fluid at the "full-hot" mark on the dipstick when vehicle is running and at operating temp?

If so and the fluid is coming out black its time to yank it for overhaul. 3-4 pack is wiped, forwards are probably stressed as well...Flush out all of your lines as well as internal and external transmission cooler so your fresh rebuild isn't contaminated by what's in those lines now.

How many miles on the transmission?

Check out my 4L60E Info thread (link is in my signature) for more info on parts, procedures, build strategy and corrective measures to take upon overhaul. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help once you get started.
Yes sir, slowly filled it checking constantly even checked again after turning the truck on and shifted through the gears. My suburban has 193370 miles on it currently when i brought it had 165000 miles ( one owner). Due to limited funds I wouldn't be able to rebuild the transmission might have to jump ship and sell it if I can't figure it out.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, slowly filled it checking constantly even checked again after turning the truck on and shifted through the gears. My suburban has 193370 miles on it currently when i brought it had 165000 miles ( one owner). Due to limited funds I wouldn't be able to rebuild the transmission might have to jump ship and sell it if I can't figure it out.
Gotcha....Check out my "How to Buy a Used Transmission: 4L60E" video if you need to grab a pre-owned unit as a stop-gap solution while you save money to rebuild yours. Dont pay more than $350 or so...let me know if you have any questions...

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha....Check out my "How to Buy a Used Transmission: 4L60E" video if you need to grab a pre-owned unit as a stop-gap solution while you save money to rebuild yours. Dont pay more than $350 or so...let me know if you have any questions...
Thank you Nick, currently debating between either keeping it and fixing or selling it. Used vehicles aren't as cheap as they used to be, financing is even worse. I love the truck it's been very reliable till now currently the second owner which is rare.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Nick, currently debating between either keeping it and fixing or selling it. Used vehicles aren't as cheap as they used to be, financing is even worse. I love the truck it's been very reliable till now currently the second owner which is rare.
You're welcome. Id keep it as it sounds like the major problems are confined to the transmission. Just look for a good used 1996 or 1997 model year transmission - you can easily tell which are 96/97 by looking at the selector area....if you're looking at a one-piece case 4L60E with a long selector shaft and black manual lever position sensor bolted to it, that will work. If tbe mlps is missing, look for the long shaft and two mounting bolt hole locations. 1993-1995 units wont have these (mlps started in 1996) and those 93-95 transmissions have the shorter selector shaft.

Buying used can be a gamble but if you do some basic checks as outlined in my vid you can increase your odds of buying a good one.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're welcome. Id keep it as it sounds like the major problems are confined to the transmission. Just look for a good used 1996 or 1997 model year transmission - you can easily tell which are 96/97 by looking at the selector area....if you're looking at a one-piece case 4L60E with a long selector shaft and black manual lever position sensor bolted to it, that will work. If tbe mlps is missing, look for the long shaft and two mounting bolt hole locations. 1993-1995 units wont have these (mlps started in 1996) and those 93-95 transmissions have the shorter selector shaft.

Buying used can be a gamble but if you do some basic checks as outlined in my vid you can increase your odds of buying a good one.
For today's adventure I'll be dropping the pan (hopefully) to see if there's any flakes or shavings in the pan. Pumped more black transmission oil out even though I put four quarts of new oil. Ordered new gasket and filter and more oil.

Attachments

• 17047402165473570265279862089583.jpg
    17047402165473570265279862089583.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 4