4l60e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the help all of you, but I’m not really getting any clear answers to my questions, I originally asked if I could just leave the MLPS in park and be fine (I don’t care about the lights on the dash) if I have to fab up a part to make it work I will. It seems like that’s the biggest thing and most concrete problem with a direction towards a solution. Besides for tearing apart the trans and swapping out parts from a newer one what do I have to do to make the computer work with this trans? Or will it work as is besides for the MLPS
Your questions were answered, you simply don't like our responses...No problem - try to rig something up to keep the MLPS in place. Who knows - perhaps you'll figure out how to make it work. Necessity is the mother of invention and I never underestimate a properly motivated man.

But "as is", that 94 4L60E is not compatible with your vehicle.

Keep us posted...

Cherryred98

Reaction score
I don’t mean to sound rude at all, you guys have done a lot for me by letting me pick your brains, I’ve just done the trans swap, fuel injectors and front dif swap in the past three days all on my own so Im In a drained mental state, the harness comes in tomorrow, I’m gonna throw it in and see what happens if it won’t shift on its own and I have to manually shift it that will get me to work hopefully for a couple weeks, if it winds up not moving because of different valve bodies and the pwm I’ll look up a pin out and see if there are some pins in the ecm I have to move. If it’s a total loss I’ll just have to figure something else out wich might take a couple weeks. I will keep you guys posted to see what happens

Last edited:

Cherryred98

Reaction score
Ok so this is what happened today… it moves… but not very good at all. It almost feels like it’s slipping but I think it’s because the solenoids aren’t able to do their job because of the computer. I’ll put the screenshots of the codes too.

Here is where I’m at, I can
1 have my old transmission rebuilt, the person who owned the truck before me had it rebuilt in 2018.
2 buy a new transmission from monster for 1700 bucks
Or 3 manual swap it, which doesn’t sound too bad especially if I buy a transmission I might as well just manual swap it, because I prefer a manual transmission and because IMO they can take more abuse

On another note if you wanna be a dumb*** like me and try to swap a 93-94 4l60e in a newer truck you have to bend the cooler lines from a 90 degree bend to a 45, change the cooler line fitting on the transmission, and modify the linkage bracket by slotting the two mounting holes and mounting it to the bottom of the pan like a s10. Just for the record… and it still won’t work lmao

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Daang man, I feel your pain. All that work and it didn't work. What about treasure yard trans?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is what happened today… it moves… but not very good at all. It almost feels like it’s slipping but I think it’s because the solenoids aren’t able to do their job because of the computer. I’ll put the screenshots of the codes too.

Here is where I’m at, I can
1 have my old transmission rebuilt, the person who owned the truck before me had it rebuilt in 2018.
2 buy a new transmission from monster for 1700 bucks
Or 3 manual swap it, which doesn’t sound too bad especially if I buy a transmission I might as well just manual swap it, because I prefer a manual transmission and because IMO they can take more abuse

On another note if you wanna be a dumb*** like me and try to swap a 93-94 4l60e in a newer truck you have to bend the cooler lines from a 90 degree bend to a 45, change the cooler line fitting on the transmission, and modify the linkage bracket by slotting the two mounting holes and mounting it to the bottom of the pan like a s10. Just for the record… and it still won’t work lmao
Have your original trans rebuilt by a reputable shop, which is what you should have done in the first place.

ETA: Even better-rebuild it yourself. You will spend about the same or less in tooling that you will in terms of a shop's labor costs and acquire a skill that will last you a lifetime, no more dependencies on others when it comes to the transmission. Who knows, you may even make all that money back by rebuilding a couple friends' or acquaintences' transmissions at some point.

Monster? LOL - no.

Manual swaps are fairly extensive but there's a thread or two on it here to help you if that's the route you decide to go.

What about treasure yard trans?
He'll be back in the same spot within 90 days or so, having two non-working transmissions intead of just one and needing to do everything a third time. 4L60Es from the junkyard have a horrible track record.

Last edited:

Cherryred98

Reaction score
Yeah I have already had my share of junkyard transmissions, and I went through 3 of them in the s10 I had. I don’t exactly know what I’m going to do yet, I’m going to take a couple weeks and work to gather some funds as I’m 18 apprenticing for a general contractor. What’s wrong with monster transmissions? Also here are the codes that popped up for anyone wondering

Attachments

• IMG_8712.jpeg
    IMG_8712.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8713.jpeg
    IMG_8713.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 3

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have already had my share of junkyard transmissions, and I went through 3 of them in the s10 I had. I don’t exactly know what I’m going to do yet, I’m going to take a couple weeks and work to gather some funds as I’m 18 apprenticing for a general contractor. What’s wrong with monster transmissions? Also here are the codes that popped up for anyone wondering
I had no idea you replied to the thread. I dont watch any thread i post in so just quote my posts or mention me like so: @NickTransmissions , if you'd like me to respond.

All those codes reflect the incompatibility between that 94 unit and your 98 vehicle. I wouldnt worry about them at this point.

Re Monster Transmissions: I've rebuild several of their units over the years and from what Ive seen, they use mostly stock level clutches, minimal hydraulic updates/upgrades but cost a lot more than a similarly-built unit from other reman companies or suppliers.

That said, $1,700 isnt too bad as that's bascially what you'd be paying a shop go through yours. This assumes Monster is replacing the one-way clutch assemblies, all electronics/electrical parts with OEM new as well as a heat treated sun shell and correction shift kit like Transgo's SK4L60E.

Make sure you're getting what you pay for, regardless of where you go. If you are apprenticing for a GC, you're prob sufficiently mechanically inclined to rebuild your existing trans by yourself. Wont cost you any more money, perhaps a little more time. But this way, you know it's done right and you (not anyone else) did the work.

Cherryred98

Reaction score
@NickTransmissions I think my best bet is to rebuild it with some better parts. I know I’m mechanically inclined enough to do it, I mean I’ve done engine swaps and rebuilt engines with my dad. ( I know a transmission is a totally different ball game though) I looked at one of your other threads and it lead me to believe that it’s the forward input sprag that took a crap. For a proper rebuild what parts will I need in a kit? Because some kits have more parts than others, and some have different parts than others, also what parts should I upgrade for daily driving and off-road use? The truck is completely stock besides for the lift and 35’s, and I plan to keep it that way I just want to be able to beat on the trans (such as burnouts, putting to the floor all the time and some light rock crawling/ trails, and some towing) and not have to worry about it taking a dump on me. I hear a better drive shell and 5 pin front and rear planetary sets. Another question I have is should I use the torque converter that was previously on it. The transmission was rebuilt in 2018, the torque converter is brand new and there is no “glitter” in the trans fluid.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions I think my best bet is to rebuild it with some better parts. I know I’m mechanically inclined enough to do it, I mean I’ve done engine swaps and rebuilt engines with my dad. ( I know a transmission is a totally different ball game though) I looked at one of your other threads and it lead me to believe that it’s the forward input sprag that took a crap. For a proper rebuild what parts will I need in a kit? Because some kits have more parts than others, and some have different parts than others, also what parts should I upgrade for daily driving and off-road use? The truck is completely stock besides for the lift and 35’s, and I plan to keep it that way I just want to be able to beat on the trans (such as burnouts, putting to the floor all the time and some light rock crawling/ trails, and some towing) and not have to worry about it taking a dump on me. I hear a better drive shell and 5 pin front and rear planetary sets. Another question I have is should I use the torque converter that was previously on it. The transmission was rebuilt in 2018, the torque converter is brand new and there is no “glitter” in the trans fluid.
Did you upgrade your final drive ratio or do you still have the factory ring and pinion gear set installed?
If you still have the OE final drive ratio, you're going to be going through transmissions like other folks go through oil filters. Your 3-4 clutch pack will continuously burn up due to lack of mechanical leverage when in OD and attempting to accelerate.

Upgrade your ring and pinion in the diff(s) before doing anything with the transmission!!!

4.56 to 4.88 gears is what I recommend.

That said, I'll be putting out a video on a typical 4L60E build profile in a week or so but for your intended usage, you want the following:

- Cal Kit (filter, paper/rubber, gaskets, seals, o-rings, etc)
- steel module (Kolene coated steels in the LR/Rev Input and 3-4 packs)
- Alto Power Pack for your 3-4 clutch (9 frictions and 8 steels vs the factory stack which is 6/5)
- Run either Alto Reds or High Energy
- Kevlar or Red wide 2-4 band
- Complete bushing kit
- Complete bearing kit if major damage or overheating occurred, otherwise existing bearings are usually fine to reuse but check them to be sure
- Heat treated sun shell (Sonnax Smart Shell is the best on the market and def worth the extra $100 or so over the factory replacement heat treated shell)
- Pair the Smart Shell with a 2003+ reaction shaft and bearing and you've rollerized the entire middle of the case)
- Input sprag assembly (if your sprag rolled/broke apart, you'll need a new sprag gear assembly, not just the one-way clutch element itself)
- Low roller clutch
- Pump rotor guide, vanes
- Pump resurfacing (body and cover)
- Transgo Unbreakable pump ring kit is a great little upgrade for a few bucks, comes with a better slide priming spring
- Sonnax HP1 Performance Pack
- Corvette 2nd gear servo
- Sonnax wide rear sun gear bushing
- All electronics/electrical components like harness, solenoids, pressure switch manifold, MLPS and VSS
- OEM GM 5 pinion rear planetary carrier (if you can afford it, install the 5-pinion front planet as well)

Assuming you're going to keep a stock stall speed for your TC, drill your clutch feed orifices as follows:
- 1-2 shift: .080-.086
- 2-3 shift: .093
- Band release: .093-.100
- 3-4 shift: .093
- Low Reverse feed: .080-.086

You'll need to research prices, etc for all of the above but that should get you started on a build that can take a bit of a beating off-road yet still function as a daily driver. Add the 4L60E ATSG manual to your shopping list if you haven't already...

Last edited:

Cherryred98

Reaction score
There is kinda a lot of parts and it’s a little overwhelming, but I found a website that allows me to basically build my own parts kit and this is what I’m gonna get

Gasket & Seal Overhaul Rebuild Kit (L1997-2003)

6-Bolt Transfer Case Adapter Gasket

4L60E|4L65E Molded Rubber Piston Pack (L1997-UP)

Oil Pan Gasket - Farpak (1983-UP)

Deep Oil Filter (1997-UP) "No Leak" Performance 1-Piece Design

Red Eagle Performance Clutch Module (1987-UP) Alto

High Performance Kolene Steel Module (1987-UP)

Extra Wide Red Eagle 2-4 Band (1982-UP) 2-5/8'' Alto

Master Bushing Kit (1985-UP)

SmartShell® Heavy Duty Reaction Shell Kit (1982-UP) Sonnax

Valve Body Separator Plate by Transgo (1996-2006)

Forward/Input Clutch Sprag (1987-UP)

Low Reverse Roller Clutch Sprag (1987-Up) Borg Warner

Performance Corvette 2-4 Servo (1982-UP) (Pistons Only)

4L60E Pump Hard Parts Kit 13-Vane

1-2 Accumulator Piston (1982-UP) Aluminum Small Pin Style

Reverse Input Drum (1993-UP) Remanufactured

4-Pinion Front Planet (1982-2004)

4-Pinion Rear Planet w/ Oil Slinger (Used)

Sonnax Performance Pack Shift Kit (1994-UP) Sonnax #HP-4L60E-01

1-2 3-4 A/B Shift Solenoid Set (1993-UP)

Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid (1990-2002)

TCC PWM (1996-UP)

3-2 Downshift Solenoid (1996-UP)

Manifold Pressure Switch (1993-2008)

TCC Lockup Solenoid & Wire Harness (1993-2002) 12143279

4L60E ATSG Tech Service Rebuild Manual

Dr. Tranny Transmission Assembly Lube - Blue Soft

I’m still trying to decide if I should do it myself or buy the parts and have a shop do it. Because I know building transmissions is an art and I do not want to pull it out again and tear it apart because I did something wrong especially because it’s my only vehicle. As for the final drive, it sounds like your talking about the differential gearing, I replaced both differentials with ones from a z71, it has 3.73’s