97 Suburban 4L60e slipping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@NickTransmission I was successful with dropping the pan however to my surprise there wasn't any shavings inside. My only question and concern is that a shifter solenoid had it's connector body dangling as well as having serious play (side to side). The one next to it is solid. Would it be wise to replace?'

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@NickTransmission I was successful with dropping the pan however to my surprise there wasn't any shavings inside. My only question and concern is that a shifter solenoid had it's connector body dangling as well as having serious play (side to side). The one next to it is solid. Would it be wise to replace?'
Alrighty after referencing to the service manual it's the 2-3 Shifter solenoid.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: Another long day for me I got the solenoid replaced put everything back together before adding transmission oil i ensured every bolt was tight then added five quarts of oil followed by a test drive which didn't go as planned in D couldn't go past twenty mph. Parked on a flat surface dipstick reading low planning to another quart tomorrow praying it's my issue.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Update: Another long day for me I got the solenoid replaced put everything back together before adding transmission oil i ensured every bolt was tight then added five quarts of oil followed by a test drive which didn't go as planned in D couldn't go past twenty mph. Parked on a flat surface dipstick reading low planning to another quart tomorrow praying it's my issue.
The newer model the transmission,the more sensitive they are to incorrect fluid levels. At least this is my experience....

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you added five quarts and have the factory shallow pan, you are within a half quart or so of full hot capacity - that's technically enough to have full funcfion of the transmission. If you put a deep pan on, you will likely be shy by 1-2 quarts and that could noticably will impact function. But if you top off and same symptoms (neutral after 20-25 mph) which is when the 2-3 shift happens, it will need to be pulled.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
5 quarts and warm up and add as needed. If has the deep pan, IIRC, there is a indentation in the pan. The shallow pan is smooth on the bottom. Is that correct @NickTransmissions?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 quarts and warm up and add as needed. If has the deep pan, IIRC, there is a indentation in the pan. The shallow pan is smooth on the bottom. Is that correct @NickTransmissions?
'98+ got the deep pan but no indentations until 2004 when they eliminated the dip stick stop and added the indentation which then served as the dip stick stop. Capacity was the same between both versions of deep pan.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you added five quarts and have the factory shallow pan, you are within a half quart or so of full hot capacity - that's technically enough to have full funcfion of the transmission. If you put a deep pan on, you will likely be shy by 1-2 quarts and that could noticably will impact function. But if you top off and same symptoms (neutral after 20-25 mph) which is when the 2-3 shift happens, it will need to be pulled.
Final update: Added two more quarts still neutrals out either at 20 or 30 mph. Made it back home in second gear. Looks like my build came to a screehing halt. Not sure of the game plan.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
'98+ got the deep pan but no indentations until 2004 when they eliminated the dip stick stop and added the indentation which then served as the dip stick stop. Capacity was the same between both versions of deep pan.
I was comparing off of my 2005 deep pan. that explains it.