Looking for a HP performance Trans 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not for nothing here, but a mild 383 can kick out a big block like 450 ft-lbs at a low rpm. It doesn't matter that you're not wringing it out at high rpm. You're at the upper limit of what the trans can handle without beating on it. Constant 3-4 downshifting and upshifting with the converter locking and unlocking whether your towing or not seems to be high on the list for failures so hammering on the 383 is not the only form of abuse.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is the definition of what?

Insanity

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats why I am looking for a well built 4l60e instead of going to a 4l80e with all the modifications that go with it.
Have not given in yet

Well, if you ask around enough eventually you'll find someone to tell you what you want to hear and promise you something they can't deliver.

Lots of claims out there about 4l60's and 700r4's that can handle 500+ horse. They will for a little while.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats why I am looking for a well built 4l60e instead of going to a 4l80e with all the modifications that go with it.
Have not given in yet
I have a 4L60E that was built about 10 years ago. It’s a performance build with extra OD clutches, shift kit, new solenoids, HD shell, 5 gear planetary. It is the older style case that fits the bolt pattern but requires a TC cover. This is a good transmission without a torque converter. You MUST have a good clean torque converter. It was originally built for my Impala SS 1995 model. I’ll take $900 for it local pickup in southwest TN. I can ship but shipping will be actual cost additional. I cannot warranty this unit because of shipping costs and the fact that I’m no longer able to build transmissions and I don’t know who will be installing the converter that if done wrong will kill the tranny. There is no core charge. This is a slight gamble for you but the price is excellent for this kind of build. You might have to change the electrical connector but that should be all to make it work. PM me if you’re interested.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4L60E that was built about 10 years ago. It’s a performance build with extra OD clutches, shift kit, new solenoids, HD shell, 5 gear planetary. It is the older style case that fits the bolt pattern but requires a TC cover. This is a good transmission without a torque converter. You MUST have a good clean torque converter. It was originally built for my Impala SS 1995 model. I’ll take $900 for it local pickup in southwest TN. I can ship but shipping will be actual cost additional. I cannot warranty this unit because of shipping costs and the fact that I’m no longer able to build transmissions and I don’t know who will be installing the converter that if done wrong will kill the tranny. There is no core charge. This is a slight gamble for you but the price is excellent for this kind of build. You might have to change the electrical connector but that should be all to make it work. PM me if you’re interested.

How many different ways of wrong can you install a converter? Either they are in and fully seated or they are not. Blame the installer and deny responsibility for the build? That line may have worked with your customers but it is exactly what I meant by promising **** you can't deliver.

Last edited:

2001ZR2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat is what usually kills transmissions. Do you have an auxiliary trans cooler? My Suburban has one from the factory with the towing package.

But I do have to agree the 4L80E is probably your best bet as it has a higher torque rating and is the heavy duty trans where the 4L60E is a medium duty. Think the max torque for the 4L60E is something like 330 ft/lbs. Too lazy to look it up today.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not for nothing here, but a mild 383 can kick out a big block like 450 ft-lbs at a low rpm. It doesn't matter that you're not wringing it out at high rpm. You're at the upper limit of what the trans can handle without beating on it. Constant 3-4 downshifting and upshifting with the converter locking and unlocking whether your towing or not seems to be high on the list for failures so hammering on the 383 is not the only form of abuse.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is the definition of what?

450 lb-ft!? That's BBC territory for sure! I didn't realize it is rated that high! I know there's several guys here running these 383s on 1500 trucks, not sure how their trannies are holding up...but according to the factory ratings of the 4L60e of 360 lb-ft, it doesn't have a chance. Even the 4L80 is rated at around 440 lb-ft.

Of course, we've seen 4.3s kill 4L60e's and 4L80e's holding up to LS turbo stuff, but probably not the other way around.

Here's a YT video on a swap. I side with OP not wanting to mess with 80 swap (emission state or other constraints,) but I still think it is pretty cool swap:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Spoiler alert: 4L80e swap + 8.1 swap + turbo...

lumpdog602

Reaction score
You do what the factory did with 4L65E. Here is a 10 minute rebuild from PowerNation. No idea of parts and labor cost, but claims up to 650 lb. ft. ability.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You do what the factory did with 4L65E. Here is a 10 minute rebuild from PowerNation. No idea of parts and labor cost, but claims up to 650 lb. ft. ability.

I broke the 4L65E in my SS at around 120K, so at least in this one example, under the LQ9 it didn't have much better lifespan than a 4L60E behind a TBI 5.7. If I manage to break it again before it can clock at least 50K more miles, I'm going 4L80E. When it broke, I was broke, so it wasn't an option to convert at the time.

Sure as hell hoping the one in my wife's truck lasts longer, not looking forward to another rebuild bill anytime soon.

If someone is just dead set on sticking with that form factor then the 4L70E "Supermatic" from GMPP might be the way to go. Supposedly good for 495 lb/ft of torque. That's GM's claim, not some rebuilder's. "The 4L70-E four-speed automatic transmission features five-pinion gearsets, heat-treated stator shaft splines, induction-hardened turbine shaft, seven-plate clutch and specific valve-body calibration." Cost you about $3800......... :eek:

There was some discussion on PT about it, in one of the massive threads where someone had spent megabucks building their 4L60E over and over just to have it keep blowing up (sound familiar?) ...

Richard