Good used trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just made a deal on a 92 gm 1500, supposedly did not have drive or reverse (one or the other, the owner couldn't remember which) and upon inspection it had no gears whatsoever, realizing the trans had no oil I filled it up with the proper fluid and alternated gears, now I have drive, reverse, over drive, and 1st/2nd, should I trust this trans? I haven't played much out of my yard yet but I am quite suspicious.

Cheers!
Jack

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it ran dry while someone was driving it probably burnt up the 3/4 clutches... but someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. Did 1992 still have the 700r4?

Yo could just drive it til it stops.. the 4L80 in my 93 c3500 was dog tired with slow shifts and real lazy into gears.. but it kept truckin

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just made a deal on a 92 gm 1500, supposedly did not have drive or reverse (one or the other, the owner couldn't remember which) and upon inspection it had no gears whatsoever, realizing the trans had no oil I filled it up with the proper fluid and alternated gears, now I have drive, reverse, over drive, and 1st/2nd, should I trust this trans? I haven't played much out of my yard yet but I am quite suspicious.

Cheers!
Jack
First do a pressure test on it to confirm the TV cable is adjusted correctly...If your pressures are acceptable at idle min and full TV, drive it around in your neighborhood, if you end up losing third or it 'neutrals' in third, just put it in manual 2 and limp it back home...Then take it out and rebuild it so that you know it's good to go for the long haul.

You should see between 55-80 PSI at idle and P, N, Drive, D3 and 90-120 PSI in Reverse...

You can check out my 4L60E thread, much of which also applies to the 700R4, for more info. I also have quite a few videos on my YT channel covering the 700R4.