Looking for a HP performance Trans 4l60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Temp sensor only requires dropping the pan, doesn't seem that big of a deal to me?
Doing this in a gravel driveway with no electricity, power tools or compressed air isn't going to make it easy. The truck has too many other problems to make me want to work on it. Basically at 150 thousand miles it started falling apart. I'd frankly rather put my time and money into the 400 Burb; it's much easier and cheaper to work on. I'll probably end up parting it out, once I take the stereo out. I'd like to put the newer seats and stereo in the 99, if they'll fit without too much BS, because they are in much better shape.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing this in a gravel driveway with no electricity, power tools or compressed air isn't going to make it easy. The truck has too many other problems to make me want to work on it. Basically at 150 thousand miles it started falling apart. I'd frankly rather put my time and money into the 400 Burb; it's much easier and cheaper to work on. I'll probably end up parting it out, once I take the stereo out. I'd like to put the newer seats and stereo in the 99, if they'll fit without too much BS, because they are in much better shape.

I hear you. I was trying to lift the suburban in my garage with jack and jackstands to see if I could get the rear axle to drop down to its lowest point so I could change the leafs lol... sure is a pain in the ass... so much easier if I had the room and a lift. Gonna wait til I get real jackstands and maybe use a 4x4 on the jack to see if I can raise her as high as the jack will go

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gonna guess you meant tuning, beats me; it's apparently just a 4L6xE family transmission with a lot of upgraded parts and a GM factory-claimed strength rating. I would expect it to work properly in any 4L6xE application but that doesn't mean I'm right. ;)

It is offered with a standalone controller but that would be for older non-PCM applications.

While checking up on it I just realized they also have a 4L75E. :D "The 4L75-E features five-pinion gearsets, heat-treated stator shaft splines, induction-hardened turbine shaft, 8-friction-plate 3-4 clutch and specific valve-body calibration. It also has a unique, high-strength input housing, high capacity servo, and large 2–4 band." ... GM says it's good for 650 lb/ft. "an alternative to the 4L80-E when space is an issue in the vehicle." Only $4285!

Richard
I looked into it a few years back and you can build a 4l60 with the 300m shafts, 5 pinion planets, Sonnax upgraded input drum etc but it's still well over 3k from the popular names not including a converter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the op came back and said the lock-up clutch in the $140 white box replacement converter the trans shop installed fragged and it's what took out the pump. Not uncommon when pushing it to the limit to run a custom non lock up converter and whatever trans mods are necessary which will set you back another $700+ for the converter. So many times the converter gets overlooked and there is so much performance potential in just that one piece. The lock up clutch also becomes a weak link. Converter rebuilders can glue in a carbon fiber clutch but you're still at the mercy of the adhesive they used inside a part that can generate a **** ton of heat.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Theres a transmission shop in Strathroy Ontario Canada. Its called Transmission Direct, its part of a mom n pop race shop, they have a few specialized Shops side by side. They have been in the business since the 60's. They built my 4L60E into a stage 3 HD rated at 1000HP. You need to find a shop like this, that's family run, Where the kids grew up playing with transmission and then took over the business with the same passion their parents had. I wouldnt expect to find to many of these shops in exsistance, but they stand by their work.
Al

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into it a few years back and you can build a 4l60 with the 300m shafts, 5 pinion planets, Sonnax upgraded input drum etc but it's still well over 3k from the popular names not including a converter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the op came back and said the lock-up clutch in the $140 white box replacement converter the trans shop installed fragged and it's what took out the pump. Not uncommon when pushing it to the limit to run a custom non lock up converter and whatever trans mods are necessary which will set you back another $700+ for the converter. So many times the converter gets overlooked and there is so much performance potential in just that one piece. The lock up clutch also becomes a weak link. Converter rebuilders can glue in a carbon fiber clutch but you're still at the mercy of the adhesive they used inside a part that can generate a **** ton of heat.

They damn well better be using carbon clutch material as most 4L60s in existence came that way from the factory for the PWM lockup. The larger diameter stock 4L80 has an advantage here.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Theres a transmission shop in Strathroy Ontario Canada. Its called Transmission Direct, its part of a mom n pop race shop, they have a few specialized Shops side by side. They have been in the business since the 60's. They built my 4L60E into a stage 3 HD rated at 1000HP. You need to find a shop like this, that's family run, Where the kids grew up playing with transmission and then took over the business with the same passion their parents had. I wouldnt expect to find to many of these shops in exsistance, but they stand by their work.
Al
And just how much power are you putting to this 1000HP-rated 4L60E? Just wondering how extensively you've tested their claims. :)

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Hahah well since I've blown 3, 4l60e's in 2 different burbs. My 97 is completely stock, all original, untouched. Hahaha its had the common failures fixed but the engine itself has not been touched. So I have not tested their claims and I'm not entirely sure what it all entails. Almost everything inside the tranny was thrown out and replaced with upgraded parts. They have a 20 000 km warranty but said if it ever fails they want to know how and to bring it back. This was 5 years ago or so now. I dont usually pull heavy loads. Its a family vehicle, a daily driver and my work truck. Hey the guy tried to talk me of the stage 3, stating it as absolutely unnecessary but that's what I wanted. They also did a fluid anylsis and tune the truck as apart of the deal. After the tow it was about $3000 CAD. Actually I called them first to enquire about the 4L80E upgrade, then went over all the options.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
They were recommended to me by a master tech at a local gm dealer. He straight up told me that they are the shop that they and many shops all send their trannys to for rebuild. He said so we could do it for an arm and a leg or you could have them do it for much cheaper, plus he didnt want to work on 20 year old vehicle you know.. I said I replaced that tranny 20 000 kms prior... he burst out laughing and gave me the business card for Transmission Direct. They have a bunch of race cars, trucks, mudders n rock crawlers in their parking lot. I know I came to the right place. They tuned my wife's stupid pos sebring for free, just because I was talking about it slamming into second. They took it for a drive with a tuner attached and gave it back to me like sports car. Free just a bonus for doing business with them. 3 years later I had an intermittent failed ignition switch. Man those are hard to diagnose when you've never experienced it before. I thought I had an internal harness problem because the wires were absolutely intact and fine up to he plug. If I told him about all the speedo and indicator light he could have saved me the hours trip in 3rd. Anyways if there was a problem with the tranny they would fix it for free, out of warranty. If not I pay $100 for diagnosis. Deal. I was happy to pay and have a definit awnser but felt like a dumbass for not telling him all of the details...
Al