I see a red truck and I want to paint it black ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I went to school for Auto body, and auto mechanics lol. I ended up focusing more on the mechanic aspect. However, I still remember what I learned lol. I will be doing all the bodywork myself on my truck including welding in the replacement panels.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course, I had to give it a bath too. Long weekend but happy with the progress! I think...

You must be registered for see images attach
This is a bad move move, raw bodyfiller absorbs moisture and the moisture can wick to the metal underneath and breed rust below the filler. Bare metal if you haven't found out yet from this will flash rust almost immediately. No water until you're ready to wet sand primer if that's going to be how it's prepped. Blow it off wipe it down with a de-wax of some sort. Prep-sol, wax and grease remover etc.

Typically with current base/clear systems there is no sanding of the basecoat prior to application of the clear and sanding it is actually detrimental to the adhesion of the clearcoat.

Try and find out what paint they are going to use, then you can look up the TDS sheets for those products. There is a wealth of info on the TDS sheets about recommended prep for the paint that's going to be used

Last edited:

crowe

Reaction score
This is a bad move move, raw bodyfiller absorbs moisture and the moisture can wick to the metal underneath and breed rust below the filler. Bare metal if you haven't found out yet from this will flash rust almost immediately. No water until you're ready to wet sand primer if that's going to be how it's prepped. Blow it off wipe it down with a de-wax of some sort. Prep-sol, wax and grease remover etc.

Typically with current base/clear systems there is no sanding of the basecoat prior to application of the clear and sanding it is actually detrimental to the adhesion of the clearcoat.

Try and find out what paint they are going to use, then you can look up the TDS sheets for those products. There is a wealth of info on the TDS sheets about recommended prep for the paint that's going to be used

Hipster,
Thank you so much for your input. Your response is exactly what I hope this thread becomes, educational. You guys can feel free to post any compliments, questions,
criticism, and any pics that are relevant also!
I will be making mistakes along the way, and hope to learn what I can, and maybe help the next guy not make them!!

-No more baths, check

- I'm not sure if my color has come in yet, I will definitely check on that, but I believe this is the primer we will be using

And I'm going to use this for the bedliner,