I see a red truck and I want to paint it black ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowe

Reaction score
Made myself go to the shop every day after work this week, got some more disassembly done.

You must be registered for see images attach

PO cut out the y-pipe and cat, ran duals to single muffler, and it drones big time.

Driver's side floor pan needs attention. Luckily it hasn't got into the cab mount yet.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made myself go to the shop every day after work this week, got some more disassembly done.

PO cut out the y-pipe and cat, ran duals to single muffler, and it drones big time.

Driver's side floor pan needs attention. Luckily it hasn't got into the cab mount yet.

You're making some pretty good progress. The roll pan makes me wonder what else is in store? Now it's screaming for a drop kit lol

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Gotta get this thread going, or it may never happen. I am going to try and keep it paint related. I plan on starting a member's truck thread soon, for all the other bs.
So anyway, Got this truck a few months back, very happy with it, and decided to go ahead and put some time, and money into it. 1997 Chevy CCLB

I am a carpenter by trade, NOT a body man or painter in any way. I am posting this just to share my experience, get some input from this forum, and then maybe it will help someone else
down the road doing the same thing.

I have spent the last year building a barn and house for a man that owns a body shop. As a Christmas bonus this year, he offered to provide the primer, paint, clear coat and supplies to paint my truck black. I would be responsible for all disassembly, 90% of the sanding and prep work, and all reassembly. I will be working on this truck before and after work for the next couple months.

From what I understand, the process will be 3 coats of primer, block sanded between each coat. Then the primer will be sealed. Coat it with color, then wet sand, then another coat, then see where we are at. Once the painter is happy with that, clear coat it, wet sand again, and buff it. I'm really not 100% how this is gonna go down, but I will post a lot of pics along the way.

So here we are, Day 1. Finally got it in the shop and ready to turn some wrenches!

Dude ... that truck didn't look that bad before you started ... I probably would have had the hood painted red and called it good. Lol. But then again, I'm partial to red trucks.

That truck looks pretty solid. Must be a southern or western truck, I'm guessing?

crowe

Reaction score
Dude ... that truck didn't look that bad before you started ... I probably would have had the hood painted red and called it good. Lol. But then again, I'm partial to red trucks.

That truck looks pretty solid. Must be a southern or western truck, I'm guessing?

Yea, live in Nashville , got truck from northern Georgia. I’ve owned red , white, and blue bowties my whole life. Some trucks were all 3 colors at once! Never owned a black one.

I bought this truck as a project because it was surprisingly solid.
The paint job is only the tip of the iceberg. I’m gonna go through it all.
I just happen to be lucky enough to be working for a man that owns a body shop. He kinda took an interest in the ol truck, and has been letting me use the shop. Otherwise, I would have never attempted a complete recoloring of the truck. It is obviously WAY more work, than just trying to touch up what you already got.

Add that to my OCD, and well , here we are….

crowe

Reaction score
Those running boards need to be thrown out. At my house!

Frank would look great with those!

Hi Frank,
The running boards are definitely unique. Some company named Monroe modified the truck. I’m guessing they custom made the fiberglass boards. They need some work, and I’m still undecided about putting them back on. Sooo, if I don’t reuse them, you got first dibs!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Hi Frank,
The running boards are definitely unique. Some company named Monroe modified the truck. I’m guessing they custom made the fiberglass boards. They need some work, and I’m still undecided about putting them back on. Sooo, if I don’t reuse them, you got first dibs!
Thankyewvurrymuch!