Help understanding dual battery setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and helping me figure this out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Most likely this previous owner added the second at the time the winch was installed. Both batteries are connected from the positive terminals to the same point on the fuse relay center box, here's a pic:

I don't see any battery isolator so I guess both batteries share the load and would be drained equally? I'm assuming I could pick up something like this so I can use the driver side battery to power the winch and other accessories without worry of draining the main passenger side battery:

http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP38-80-AMP-Battery-Isolator/dp/B001HC6UJ0/ref=sr_1_5
Your thoughts are correct. They are both sharing the load, and adding a switch would isolate the batteries, but would limit you to less winch run time. If you did add a switch, you would not drain the starting battery though.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should do the trick, I believe you hook it up to accessory power so it will allow it to fully function when the car is on, and if it's off lets the lights and winch drain away without killing your pass side battery. Never used an isolator though so I could be wrong.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think the isolator is a HD relay.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to note, if you're not running an isolator or charge controller then it would be best to run as close to identical batteries as possible. Same brand and model would be best, same capacity. That way you're not putting more stress on one battery than the other during a rapid discharge situation.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to note, if you're not running an isolator or charge controller then it would be best to run as close to identical batteries as possible. Same brand and model would be best, same capacity. That way you're not putting more stress on one battery than the other during a rapid discharge situation.
Grate point

99Sierra

Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up again as I recently picked up this Stinger 200A battery isolator and just want to verify I am going to install this correctly. Based on the included wiring diagram and everything I've read online, I think this is how I should install it:

Does this look correct? As always, thanks for the help, GMT400.com!

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interested as I’m doing the same except on an obs. Which changes a few things up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

X2 - AND once one battery is discharged more, or weaker, than the other if you don't have a voltage regulator on each you'll cook the good battery because the alternator is trying to charge up the weaker one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score