Help Me Choose a Cam for my 454!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
@slowburb suggested I start a cam recommendation thread, since he said "I would get better advice here then some sales associate from comp cams." (I dont think he likes Comp Cams):hidesbehindsofa:

So here we go,

I gotta 1991 chevy C3500 Dually I recently purchased, im looking to wake up the motor. The TBI is being modified, Boring the throttle body to 54mm from 50mm, having it rebuilt and all the issues solved with throttle shaft leakage, and matching injectors with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. at the same time Of the cam install, I will be looking to use Vortec heads (smaller combustion chamber 100cc to raise compression to roughly 8.8:1) from a newer 7.4L I will be using a Carburetor Edelbrock manifold with EGR provisions and an adapter plate to mount the TBI ... The Motor is sitting in front of a 4l80E transmission with stock converter, its gonna be driven regularly but not necessarily daily, Looking for the Best possible increase in low to mid range horsepower and torque (below 5000 rpm) I understand some tuning will be involved, possibly the rear end will be re geared if needed (probably has 3.48-3.73 gears on 33 inch tires right now)

I understand I will need to upgrade the heads to adjustable valve train... I also believe I need stronger push rods.

id like to not touch the bottom end......for right now. do you have a recommendation of cam I should use?

I am opposed to using a flat tappet and would like to upgrade to a retro Roller Cam.

Thanks for your time.:burnout:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing of value to contribute, but nice dually!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
What cam has Comp suggested?

Per Comp Cams:

A COMP RETRO style hydraulic roller should be what you want if you still have a '91 block. You need a computer friendly cam for your TBI in order to have good street performance. The 266HR-12 (COMP #11-412-8) should be exactly what you want, and will require no drivetrain changes. The 108 grind will give a more noticeable rumble out the exhaust and you'll have more torque where you want it.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=455&sb=2

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Watching this thread,might be something I'd do in the future.

So if I'm reading the cam info and attached notes on Camp Cam's website hydraulic roller lifters can be retro fitted to a Gen V & VI engine? It would require a cam button,right?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Yes, you can use a retro roller lifter kit on a gen V block, I believe all Gen VI blocks with vortec heads were roller blocks from the facotry.

There retro Timing Kit in the list has the thrust button and wear plate needed for Retro Roller cams.

Edit: Thrust button sold seperately, but it is needed.

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gen 6 7.4's all came with roller cam's as far as I know. I put a comp pn 01-415-8 in my truck (gen 6 7.4) and I like it, but I don't have any dyno information to evaluate it and I also changed a lot of other stuff at the same time.

I've seen mileage as high as 16 mpg semi-consistently when I drive it real nice and the weather is nice (fall). It makes good torque and mid range power up to ~5000 rpm. I think a bit smaller of a cam would likely make better torque down low though.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Man that is sooo tempting lol

yes it is.

by the way I was wrong about the Thrust button it is sold seperately (#207)

The gen 6 7.4's all came with roller cam's as far as I know. I put a comp pn 01-415-8 in my truck (gen 6 7.4) and I like it, but I don't have any dyno information to evaluate it and I also changed a lot of other stuff at the same time.

I've seen mileage as high as 16 mpg semi-consistently when I drive it real nice and the weather is nice (fall). It makes good torque and mid range power up to ~5000 rpm. I think a bit smaller of a cam would likely make better torque down low though.

some guy is gonna pop up and say they yanked a gen 6 7.4L out of a motorhome and say it had a flat tappet just to mess with you. thats why I Specified Vortec 7.4L

16mpg, thats pretty good.

seems like that cam was made for the 96-00 7.4l motors, the lift is much lower then the one I was looking at.