Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay maybe you are right. I'm thinking I should prolly replace at least the back 2. Damn this thing is nickle and diming me everywhere

You must be registered for see images attach

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just found more stuff to marine Tex... Large cracks on the stepsides. Hopefully the repair will hold up! I'll post repairs later

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Marine Tex to repair my stepside and its holding up splendidly. It's really tough stuff but it sands fairly easily.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Okay maybe you are right. I'm thinking I should prolly replace at least the back 2. Damn this thing is nickle and diming me everywhere

Shoot don’t even get me started on the nickel and dime complaint, because up to now on my Z71 I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $25k (or more) wrapped up in mine counting the purchase. However, I have gone through everything on mine that was a wear item, and the only thing that is left is one hub assembly that I haven’t touched. I do need to coat my frame this summer just for added piece of mind.

A wire brush on a drill would be the best thing to use on removal of the loose scale, and if you’re close to a Harbor Freight store, I would use their wire brushes, one for the low cost, and two for how well they work.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Still cheaper then $500+ car payments though

You are correct on that, also the fact that Chevrolet/GMC hasn't had a manual transmission option since about 2005/2006, so I have no interest in a newer version.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shoot don’t even get me started on the nickel and dime complaint, because up to now on my Z71 I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $25k (or more) wrapped up in mine counting the purchase. However, I have gone through everything on mine that was a wear item, and the only thing that is left is one hub assembly that I haven’t touched. I do need to coat my frame this summer just for added piece of mind.

A wire brush on a drill would be the best thing to use on removal of the loose scale, and if you’re close to a Harbor Freight store, I would use their wire brushes, one for the low cost, and two for how well they work.
I had good luck with the 60$ sandblaster. Comes in handy. And I think I'm gonna go pick up a needle scaler tonight. Anyone think that those cab mounts are the problem?