Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lowered 4x4 makes me think of a mean AWD street/muscle/ truck. Like a Subaru of the truck world that isn't stuck in AWD. Should be a really cool build and can't wait to see it come along. I'm a huge fans of standard cabs, and stepsides especially. ;)

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
A lowered 4x4 makes me think of a mean AWD street/muscle/ truck. Like a Subaru of the truck world that isn't stuck in AWD. Should be a really cool build and can't wait to see it come along. I'm a huge fans of standard cabs, and stepsides especially. ;)

Never thought of it like that. You raise some strong points! Sounds like a cool build! Definitely gonna keep up with this one!

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shackles can get you 2". The front leaf hanger will be the other 2". That's all I've done.
Any more drop than that would be keeping the front hanger and cutting into the frame for an axle flip and so on. There are a few good threads on here about lowering
I don't see much about lowering 4x4 k1500. I hope it isn't a pain. You know how I could lower the front 3 inches?

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I don't see much about lowering 4x4 k1500. I hope it isn't a pain. You know how I could lower the front 3 inches?

Yeah, my apologies. I neglected to notice you were working with a 4x4. I have zero experience with 4x4 suspension, other than cussing at a lift kit when helping R&I a transmission. You may only be able to level the rear end. If no one is going to chime in from the 4x4 side of the forum, I'd consult with the local off road shop.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
You can always get the front end lower by unscrewing your torsion bar bolts all the way. besides that it's gonna need to be custom done. Rear end would be the same as a 2wd except the rear axle is wider than a 2wd

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a quick Google search shows someone in Bakersfield has lowered an 04 awd using Djm lower arms with air bags. However looks like you may need different CV, from what I can tell. But that was on a 04, haven't seen anything abt the 400s.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a quick Google search shows someone in Bakersfield has lowered an 04 awd using Djm lower arms with air bags. However looks like you may need different CV, from what I can tell. But that was on a 04, haven't seen anything abt the 400s.
How much will i get out of the torsion key? I only want 2 or 3 inches in the front.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No idea, I've never tried lowering using the keys. My guess would be to try it out and see what you get.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you manage to get a lot of drop out of the front, it may also be a good idea to temporarily loosen all your front A arm bolts to the frame to let your bushings relax to the new position and re tighten to spec. That way you wont be chewing through bushings all the time. And if you're going to drop it a couple inches you would need an alignment anyway. Just a thought I had. Really excited to see your progress.