Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the box off the truck today with the help of a friend. Much heavier then I expectex! Gonna descale and clean up as much as possible before I blast it. I've never done any restoration before so chime in if you have input!!!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having just blasted my frame not to long ago one thing I should've done is to drill out all the hangers for the leafs so that I could clean up in between there. Wouldn't be bad idea for you to do that.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I would just grab a sander and just sand it pretty good. I never did this and wished I would've. I just painted the sides my frame (without sanding) with Permatex spray can undercoat, has done an OK job, probably have to put on another coat this summer.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotchya. Yea I'll have to do that tomorrow. I think mine are bolts not rivets but I haven't really looked at it yet.
Regardless I will take it apart and clean them up too. Good info. I hope it looks pretty all painted.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's so worth the effort. Nothing like having the piece of mind knowing your frame will remain in solid shape, and man does it make a truck look better. Since you have the bed off, I'd highly recommend dropping the fuel tank. I did my frame last summer, I took the lines off and undid any clips they were attached to along the frame rail, I draped the lines over the drive shaft after I wrapped them up to tuck them out of the way. After dropping the tank you'll have unlimited access to the inside of the driver side frame rail. Doesn't take long at all, really. Good luck, and please post progress pictures!

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's so worth the effort. Nothing like having the piece of mind knowing your frame will remain in solid shape, and man does it make a truck look better. Since you have the bed off, I'd highly recommend dropping the fuel tank. I did my frame last summer, I took the lines off and undid any clips they were attached to along the frame rail, I draped the lines over the drive shaft after I wrapped them up to tuck them out of the way. After dropping the tank you'll have unlimited access to the inside of the driver side frame rail. Doesn't take long at all, really. Good luck, and please post progress pictures!
I'm want to drop the tank out but it's half full and I'm afraid if I undo the gas tank straps that I'll have to buy new ones.. owell it's just money right