Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grabbed a new set of straps for under 40 bucks on Amazon, same brand Autozone sells but Ebay cheaper. I'll see if I can find a link. Also a 10 dollar transfer pump will empty your tank into a temporary container of your choice fairly quickly. :) (dont let me twist your arm into dropping the tank haha)

Last edited:

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So anyone know that babe if this crossbrace? Mines rusted through. And could I replace it with some angle iron I have laying around?

You must be registered for see images attach

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll prolly drop it just like you said for ease of mind. While I have the back end off can I get away with a 4 or 5 inch drop in the rear?

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
So anyone know that babe if this crossbrace? Mines rusted through. And could I replace it with some angle iron I have laying around?

You must be registered for see images attach

I have not noticed any structural significance to those smaller cross-members. I think they may just be there to keep the spare tire under control. Neither of my trucks have them anymore; the first one didn't come with them, and I removed the spare tire carrier from my current.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
With just shackles?

The shackles can get you 2". The front leaf hanger will be the other 2". That's all I've done.
Any more drop than that would be keeping the front hanger and cutting into the frame for an axle flip and so on. There are a few good threads on here about lowering

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
Yea why not? Lots of people do it. I'm not into jacked up trucks. Not my style. I'm too fat to climb up there just to get in my truck as it is!

That's cool. I've personally never seen a lowered 4x4. Defeats the purpose to me. But hey most people never take their 4x4s off road. Post up some pics when you get it lowered. I'm intrigued! Lol! I get the climbing up into it thing though! Was gonna lift mine 6", but with 3 kids it's not practical! So I settled for cranking the keys to level!'