BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not going to deny that I'm cynical and skeptical regarding the 6.5. I too will continue to get kicked in the nuts by one though but it is an Opitmizer. That is like saying that you dated your schools prom queen but you were home schooled. Sure, someone is going to think that it is cool but everyone else knows better.

After doing quite a bit of research and digging through forums and tons of technical stuff I'm starting to become somewhat versed in 6.5s; 454s are still my main wheel house, but going off what I've read and what I've seen I believe I've got a pretty decent 6.5 (as decent as they can be) with over 200K and no blow-by, almost 80 pounds of oil pressure at idle, and it runs strong.

That being said when it lets loose it'll be getting a Duramax swapped in. I've long debated building a "monster" of a 6.5 though.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Due to the censor on the forum, I'm no longer allowed to type out the proper description to how I feel; so I'll leave it at this.

Dang.

Got the bed pulled with great strain, stripped bolts and all sorts of janky wiring to sort through in order to get the damn thing off, a funky gooseneck hitch that keeps getting caught on the opening, and a hoist that has a leaky cylinder.
All that effort just to wind up putting the bed back on. I can't get the sender removed, and I'm fairly certain RockAuto sent a sender for a Suburban. So back to the drawing board, I'm gonna put the bed on but leave the hitch and spare out, with the holidays fast approaching I don't have the time to d!ck with it so it'll be going to my buddy's shop this coming week.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it was a struggle to get nowhere. Last time I did mine, I pulled the rear wheels, and the bumper... well, I pulled the bumper the first time too. Pulling the wheels means the box didn't need to be lifted as high. I had volunteers helping rather than a hoist.

What was the issue with the wires? Zip tied to the box? I think I just removed the trailer wiring from the bumper, unplugged the lights, and disconnected the ground wire at the filler neck, along with filler itself.

How was it that your sender wasn't coming out.... couldn't get the ring off, or the rubber was holding it in?

I did have one bolt break, and I couln't get it out. My cousin tried welding a nut to it, several times. He didn't have the power to get a good weld, and it would just break off. I now only have 7 bed bolts.

I no longer have a spare tire carier under my bed.... too rusted, and I wasn't using it any way. I pulled all that junk out of there. I think I still have the actual winch, and maybe one brace but the other didn't have much left to it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate it when you put forth a ton of effort only to get kicked in the nuts. You'll get there.
I'm used to it, I just wish I had a shop I could leave it in while I go back to the drawing board, this shadetree **** was cool when I was a teenager but it's kind of old now.

Sorry to hear it was a struggle to get nowhere. Last time I did mine, I pulled the rear wheels, and the bumper... well, I pulled the bumper the first time too. Pulling the wheels means the box didn't need to be lifted as high. I had volunteers helping rather than a hoist.

What was the issue with the wires? Zip tied to the box? I think I just removed the trailer wiring from the bumper, unplugged the lights, and disconnected the ground wire at the filler neck, along with filler itself.

How was it that your sender wasn't coming out.... couldn't get the ring off, or the rubber was holding it in?

I did have one bolt break, and I couln't get it out. My cousin tried welding a nut to it, several times. He didn't have the power to get a good weld, and it would just break off. I now only have 7 bed bolts.

I no longer have a spare tire carier under my bed.... too rusted, and I wasn't using it any way. I pulled all that junk out of there. I think I still have the actual winch, and maybe one brace but the other didn't have much left to it.
Janky wiring that was wrapped up for a gooseneck plug in the bed (almost the same issue as my red truck!) Stripped out bolts because the beds been off before, and the wiring being hung up.
I couldn't get the ring to budge so I soaked everything down in Kroil so hopefully my friend will have a little more luck than I did.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I couldn't get the ring to budge so I soaked everything down in Kroil so hopefully my friend will have a little more luck than I did.

I usually grease the area up after installing the new ring. I know I did that the first time, and it looked dirty when I replaced it again, but it cleaned right up, and was ok coming apart. I think I greased up the Denso pump going into the old tank, but less enthusiastically (I really buried the first replacement in grease). I don't recall what I did when I transferred the Denso pump to the new tank. Hopefully, I did something. Maybe I just "painted" grease on with an acid brush.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful, but I have started ordering (online) from my local napa. Free shipping for orders over $35, arrives in 1-2 days, and its a 15 minute drive if the part is wrong. The cost is a bit more upfront, but sometimes they have promo codes on their website that take care of that.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel the pain... fighting with crank relearn on my 0411 swap that does not seem to want to relearn....
And while doing that, my freshly installed waterpump started leaking.

Sometimes this is just how it goes :mad:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I feel the pain... fighting with crank relearn on my 0411 swap that does not seem to want to relearn....

The dually has kicked my ass on the relearn, but it has no misfires or P0300. I think it's because I never did the .cax file for the shifter inputs so I need to hook a pin or 2 to a manually switched ground to enable that.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dually has kicked my ass on the relearn, but it has no misfires or P0300. I think it's because I never did the .cax file for the shifter inputs so I need to hook a pin or 2 to a manually switched ground to enable that.

Question for both of you, have you messed with your rev limiter any? I couldn't get the red truck to do a relearn and it wound up being something with the tune, it had to set a certain parameter for it to take to a relearn. I don't remember all the details but I think @Mangonesailor posted about it in the 454 thread.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have started ordering (online) from my local napa. Free shipping for orders over $35, arrives in 1-2 days, and its a 15 minute drive if the part is wrong. The cost is a bit more upfront, but sometimes they have promo codes on their website that take care of that.
I was going to buy from NAPA, but since I was ordering some stuff from RockAuto trying to save a buck I decided "screw it" and picked up the sender.