1996 CC K3500 dually “working classic”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Well finally got around to finishing the trans rebuild this weekend. Broke a bolt and a few other setbacks but it’s together and fingers crossed it actually works. For being my first COMPLETE rebuild there is a steep learning curve but luckily the 4l80e is relatively simple as far as autos go. Google has been my friend as I do not have a service manual but made do and all clearances/tolerances ended up in spec.

The completed mods per Jake’s kit:
Heavy duty intermediate snap ring
Rollerized output and forward hub
Dual fed direct piston
Extra clutch and steel in direct drum
Sonnax o ringed boost valve
Line to lube and front seal drain pump mods
Accumulator delete (will be fine tuning shift harshness in hptuners down the road)
Jake’s separator plate drilled for desired shift feel.
Will be installing Jake’s high flow filter after initial break in as well.

Jake’s claims built this way it’s safe up to 800hp. To me this is overkill for a stock engine truck but I would rather it be way than fail again.

I opted to go with a 2000-2200 hd towing stall instead of the factory 1600-1800 to hopefully give the ole girl a little more grunt.

If I’m motivated enough I should have it in and driving around in the next couple weeks.

You must be registered for see images attach

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Well she ain’t the prettiest right now but she works. Only got to drive around enough to make sure it went through all the gears correctly. Shifts crisp into every gear and converter locks up so I call that a win. I’ll beat on it later to make sure.

Also installed new radiator because failed internal trans cooler it’s what killed the last one.

Time to finish the bed.

Wanna do the 80E in my red truck next?
I was looking at Jake's kit to start with, more than likely my 80E is going to wind up with a Raybestos red kit, upgraded spray, and a Sonnax shift kit.
I’m far from a professional don’t know if I’m ready to work on other peoples stuff ha ha. I ended up ordering a second bushing kit because I messed some up.

I was impressed with the Jake’s kit. Optioned out it was 1250 for me. Has the recalibration kit and accumulator delete. Jake’s kit also comes with the high energy borg w clutches (best out there imo) they have an option for the upgraded sprag as well. Only thing besides the Jake’s kit you would have to order is the sonnax boost valve.

At the end I had a small pile of unused extras because it includes everything to build to multiple preferences.

I feel like it may have been overkill, raybestos kit would probably work great for a street build.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well she ain’t the prettiest right now but she works. Only got to drive around enough to make sure it went through all the gears correctly. Shifts crisp into every gear and converter locks up so I call that a win. I’ll beat on it later to make sure.

Also installed new radiator because failed internal trans cooler it’s what killed the last one.

Time to finish the bed.

I’m far from a professional don’t know if I’m ready to work on other peoples stuff ha ha. I ended up ordering a second bushing kit because I messed some up.

I was impressed with the Jake’s kit. Optioned out it was 1250 for me. Has the recalibration kit and accumulator delete. Jake’s kit also comes with the high energy borg w clutches (best out there imo) they have an option for the upgraded sprag as well. Only thing besides the Jake’s kit you would have to order is the sonnax boost valve.

At the end I had a small pile of unused extras because it includes everything to build to multiple preferences.

I feel like it may have been overkill, raybestos kit would probably work great for a street build.
I wanted to get this transmission built up as a "towing" spec transmission, and a local shop said the Raybestos kit would be perfect for my application.
I've got plans to build a 454 for my red truck that's around 400 horse, 550-650 TQ; now if I'll actually get there remains to be seen but I'm in the same camp as you, no kill like overkill

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Got some time to chisel away at the bed today. Fabricated up some recessed taillight panels. Was going for that CM bed look.

basedbb

Reaction score
One of these days I want to make a new flatbed for my rig. The problem is the one I got works so I'm not fooling with it lol