1997 Auction K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebodell67

Reaction score
Picked this up on BigIron for $1300. 1997 K3500, Vortec 350, 4L80-E, 4.10 axles. Drove it 200 miles from Cherokee, Iowa back home. Ran surprisingly well and really had no issues aside from the taillights falling out (they were held on by the harness so I was able to unhook and save them). Truck was owned by a Co-Op and served as a fuel hauler. The entire back half the the truck is encased in a diesel and dust mixture. I started a list of what it needs and will knock things out as time permits. For now it will start being used as a chore/farm truck.
First up was to power wash the entire truck to get as much of the diesel off the outside and bed as I could. I then cleaned out the interior and hit it with the shop vac. It is still rather dirty but I got rid of mouse poop. I have new taillight housings, door pins, and a drivers side door handle on the way. A buddy picked up a driver's side door panel and passenger mirror for me at a pick and pull yard in Des Moines. I need to get all the fluids changed and find some small trim pieces but at this point I don't plan on doing much more other than using it. Everything on it seems to work even the cruise and A/C (need to charge it a bit). Truck came with a heavy ag cushion hitch so that is a big plus.
i bought the truck to replace my 1973 K20 that my stepson wrecked this spring. He was not hurt but the truck had been in my wife's family since new. I had pulled it out of the fencerow and got back in daily use about 3 years ago. Unfortunately it is a total loss now.
I have owned a 1993 K3500 for over 15 years that my dad bought new off the lot so I am at least familiar with these trucks and their quirks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Before power washing

After washing

After hitting it with the shop vac (no before pic, but it was bad)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey, I know you from the square body forum, glad to have you here too!
Nice score on the truck, looks very capable. Neat to see my interior in red(most of the 8 luggers I see around here have the cream color seats like mine, or blue interior.
My '97 C3500 got to do a lotta work yesterday. Hauling Mom and I to the Northside wrecking yard I probably hadn't been to in 10 or 11 years, in the morning. Coming home in the afternoon, stopped to meet up with a customer for a part I found at that yard(and major reason why we went over there in the first place). Then once we got home and cooled off(even with AC in the truck, it's still damn hot outside in Houston, Texas) one of our neighbors came over and wanted our help with moving two of his big bumper pull trailers back in their lots a few feet. He doesn't have a big truck anymore. He ended up doing most of the maneuvering, but I still got some grocery money outta the deal. And the truck did great!

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_202214392_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_202214392_HDR.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230725_203617156_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230725_203617156_HDR.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 8

ebodell67

Reaction score
Been slowly working on the truck between using it for what I bought it for. Already pulled the utility trailer and checked gates with it. We had a million dollar rain this weekend so it is now muddy again. But, between all that I got the outside door handle replaced, got the new door card mounted, and replaced the hinge pins. Inner door panel is tan but that is what my buddy found at the pick and pull and it was only $10. Also got the passenger side mirror on it and the new taillights installed.

ebodell67

Reaction score
Busy weekend with the truck. I got the trans, engine, t-case, and front diff fluids changed with new filters when applicable. Also lubed the truck and checked the ball joints and front brakes. It will need new pads shortly. I need to look at the rear shoes as well, kinda a pain with the full floater. Still a few little things to check on it but at this point I have looked at the main items and I am gaining confidence in reliability. Pretty much driving it daily now.
I was able to get over to the DMV and get it registered and plated. Iowa is pretty forgiving as you can drive for 30 days as long as you have proof of insurance and the bill of sale/invoice. I was about 2 days from the deadline however.
I am wondering what the original color of the flares was. I know that the rims were argent (silver) from the factory but I am not sure about the flares. My 1993 K3500 is a two-tone so it's flares are silver. Anybody know? I am thinking they may have been red (body color).

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you send me a picture of the power steering mount. I’m trying to see if a truck with a hydro boost is different than a truck with vacuum boost. Thank you

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I need to look at the rear shoes as well, kinda a pain with the full floater.
Funny thing about the full floaters in the non dually trucks, the drum slides off without having to remove the hub. I found that out when I did my axle swap. If it was a dually axle, you would have to remove the hub.