Mr. Jangles 99 K3500 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're brave peeling that carpet up, I probably should have tried to save mine, but wasn't trying to fight the whole thing out, raining turds. Just cut it into sections, and into the trash it went. Also figured Id never get the smell all the way out.

No help here on the padding, etc. I'm going to end up coating my pans with monstaliner, or Ive also been looking at the replacement rubber floor, whatever they are called. Carpet and country just don't mix.

I think I would be pulling the dash, and door panels, then taking the power washer to the inside. Trying to scrub the nastiness out of the cracks, and wash it all away with a bottle of cleaner or something is not going to be pleasant, or get it all clean.

If you do wash it out, there should be a line of 1 1/2" body plugs along the underneath of the rockers on the inside facing the frame rails. You might pull one or two of those so it washes and drains them too. I don't know how crew cabs are laid out, but the mice had made nests in a foam/wire barrier at the bottoms of my extended cab section, which opens up into the rockers. They do/should have a normal drain at the back corner too though.

Dont know if it actually helped, but I grabbed a big box of baking soda and sprinkled it all over, wetted it all down, then let it sit before a rinse. Figured it would help neutralize odors, and any acids from the mouse pee, but I have no facts that it actually did anything. Truck smells nice now.

I probably went a little excessive, but I did not want to smell any damn mouse nasty after it was all said and done.
Pulling the carpet wasn't all that bad once i got all the other crap out of the way. Dash and door panels are next to come out. I am debating on just taking the power washer to the inside. Just don't know if I want to pull all the wiring that is in there. I haven't seen the plugs you mentioned. But will look again for them. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I am going to start on the dash removal.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to end up coating my pans with monstaliner
The last I heard, you should not use bed liner in your interior because it puts off toxic fumes for years. I wire-wheeled Roscoe, and primed and painted it with Rustoleum. It had maximum turd.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last I heard, you should not use bed liner in your interior because it puts off toxic fumes for years.
I heard that too, but it was also from a company trying to sell me their junk, saying it was better, but it wasn't any different. The new car smell...its just plastics off gassing also.

Have seen the pics of your project. The inside of my truck was about as bad as the one here in this thread. Much longer and yours would have been self composting. I'd have probably opened that truck door, took a look, closed it and never returned, but I suppose a man works with what he has. And that's coming from someone who had a shovel in my hands for months, cleaning all the poop out of my current home, which was abandoned for like 35 years.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was already composting. The back window had fallen out and it'd been open to the elements for ten years, sitting in a rancher's field. Luckily, it was freezing cold when I picked it up, so you couldn't smell it. I unbolted the seat, shoveled out the interior, and rolled the carpet right into my trash cart.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did some more washing of the carpet this time with some "stain removal" shampoo. It knocked out more of the stains. Most of what is left stain wise will be covered with the seats. Im good with that. Also started working on the dash removal. Got the under hood stuff done. One bad thing about a 6.5 you have(or at least I had to) remove the inner fender to be able to reach the heater core lines and evap liquid line. But got them off and out of the way. The comp oil that was in the evap didn't look good. Looked like burnt ATF. I'm going to bet the compressor is toast. Started removing some things but stopped and going to have to do some vacuuming so the rain of turds and other things stop falling.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got the dash and heater box out. Both showed remnants of mice just like I had thought. Got all the interior pieces cleaned up and at least smelling like new. Can't really do anything about the wear on them. The HVAC doors are in poor shape as well as all the foam seals but I was expecting that. Have new doors on order debating on getting new actuators as well. They where coved in a lot of sticky stuff that we all know what it probably was. While removing one of the plugs from the computer I broke a wire. I'm going to have to find my extra pins and get it repined. Next up is to get the loose debris that go shook loose cleaned and get the wiring connectors covered up and spray and wash the inside. Hopefully that will get the rest of the funk out.

I didn't get many pictures today since I was busy pulling vacuuming and cleaning. These are what I cam up with for cleaning. Added some degreaser/cleaner and filled them with water and put the parts in to soak. Small one for small parts and big one for the longer parts. Worked pretty well and also cleaned all the grit and grime that was imbedded in my hands out. Also cleaned the tail gate up pretty good too.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have new doors on order debating on getting new actuators as well.
I put the HVAC box back in Roscoe yesterday. While I had it out I had the same dilemma, and I replaced my actuators. I don't want to get it back together and then have one conk out a week after I get it running. I also plugged the controller in and powered it all up with a jump pack to make sure everything worked.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I put the HVAC box back in Roscoe yesterday. While I had it out I had the same dilemma, and I replaced my actuators. I don't want to get it back together and then have one conk out a week after I get it running. I also plugged the controller in and powered it all up with a jump pack to make sure everything worked.
I got this one on the square body forum, but it applies to y'all's trucks equally well!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414-095222.png
    Screenshot_20240414-095222.png
    901.4 KB · Views: 11

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet and replace them. I have them in my cart just waiting to see if I need anything else dash wise before I place the order.