Possible new buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So looking to maybe buy another GMT-400. Truck is a 98-99 I cant remember. Guy i might be buying it from bought it for the box.
And doesn't want the rest. Its a K3500 CCLB. It has a 6.5 and 5 speed.

The pros
Truck is clean body wise. Has a bit of rust on the driver fender and is missing the flare.
Has 129k on it.
If he can get it running its 500 bucks with out the box.
The cons
The interior is in good shape but is very mousey smelling. It sat in a field for Im going to guess the last 10 years.

As of right now it doesn't run. He thinks it is a bad pmd. I loaned him my spare to see if that takes care of it. It will run off a small shot of starting fluid.

The worst part is he doesn't have a title. The owner passed away and the property was bought by someone else. He bought it from the new property owner. From my understanding the next of kin is not wanting to deal with anything related to the truck.
I am willing to go through the hoops to get the title since it is in pretty decent shape.

Right now this is the only pic of the truck I have.

Attachments

• 20230905_174614.jpg
    20230905_174614.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 55

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks 4x4 as well. Of course you "need" it. It's a gmt400!
If you can't title it, there's always the "vin plate swap" that has never occurred anywhere near me.
Whatever you do, don't let it sit there. It's a sweet find for sure!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't really need a 1 ton let alone a dually but with what he is asking and can get a title I can always get it cleaned and fixed up and flip it.
You say it's a CCLB but it looks CCSB to me, maybe it's just the angle of the picture? You can't beat it for the price, but finding a good used dually bed could be tricky. Bonded title shouldn't be any issue but laws vary from state to state, for sure.

If you can't title it, there's always the "vin plate swap" that has never occurred anywhere near me.
Super super bad idea, about the worst possible. Other ways of dealing with it within the law that won't get the truck confiscated and buyer/future buyers in legal hot water.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say it's a CCLB but it looks CCSB to me, maybe it's just the angle of the picture?
A good way to tell if it’s a short/long bed when dealing with a goofy angle is to check the center stake pockets on the bed rails.
Short = 2 per side (front and rear of bed)
Long = 3 per side (front, middle, rear of bed)

@someotherguy I’m sure you knew this, mostly just adding the info for other users. Hope you don’t take it as me being condescending. :)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A good way to tell if it’s a short/long bed when dealing with a goofy angle is to check the center stake pockets on the bed rails.
Short = 2 per side (front and rear of bed)
Long = 3 per side (front, middle, rear of bed)

@someotherguy I’m sure you knew this, mostly just adding the info for other users. Hope you don’t take it as me being condescending. :)
Not at all condescending. If I squint really, really hard on my laptop screen, I can see the center stake pocket. :D

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will land you in the federal pen. It does not matter if the vehicle was acquired honestly and with the best intentions.

Get a bonded title or a bench title. Open and honest communication with your state's vehicle registration agency helps immensely. If you have to go down to their office in person with a friendly smile and a basket of flowers or tacos, do it. Get on their good side and ask what you need to do to get a legal title.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say it's a CCLB but it looks CCSB to me, maybe it's just the angle of the picture? You can't beat it for the price, but finding a good used dually bed could be tricky. Bonded title shouldn't be any issue but laws vary from state to state, for sure.
Yeah like you said in a further on post it is a long box. Wish it was a short box. I didn't think to grab a pic till I was leaving. I think that's why he bought it cause he cant find a good one. Or at least one that is in his price range. I'm gunna see if I can find one before he pulls this one that way I don't have to lay in the dirt putting one on and then having to worry about paint mismatch.

Super super bad idea, about the worst possible. Other ways of dealing with it within the law that won't get the truck confiscated and buyer/future buyers in legal hot water.

Richard
I would never think about a vin plate swap. Not saying I'm a goodie two shoes but thats not the kind of trouble I wan to deal with.