Mr. Jangles 99 K3500 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pulled the dash out of Roscoe, every time I unbolted another piece, more mouse nest and turds fell out. Every stinking bit of that truck was full of mouse turds. Afterwards I was talking with one of my Air Force buddies who grew up on a reservation, and he informed me of the horrors of Hanta virus. It will kill you and there's no cure. I take mouse turds much more seriously now.

I'd wear a respirator and disassemble it all.
Never heard of hanta virus. I know I should wear something but I didn't. When I get to pulling the interior I defiantly will.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Never heard of hanta virus. I know I should wear something but I didn't. When I get to pulling the interior I defiantly will.

It's mostly a south west thing, so I don't really worry about it here in MI. I can't speak for Nebraska, Though. I'd probably wear a mask if I were in a lot of mouse nasties, just for the ick factor.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned the nightsoil out of Roscoe in 30*F weather, so I really didn't smell anything. When I disassembled the dash a month or so later, it was in the 60s and smelled horrible.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a little bit more done that last couple days. I thought I did a decent job of vaccuming but as soon as I pulled the rear seat I found i didn't.
Before
You must be registered for see images attach

After

I didn't take pics of all the trim pieces but most of them looked like kick panel does where it curves to go under the sill panels. They seemed to clean up pretty good.
Before

After

Only thing I have hanging me up on getting the carpet out now is the shifter. I cannot get the boot to move so I can get to the nut that threads into the shifter. Hopefully tomorrow if it doesn't rain me out I can get it off and the carpet pulled. Next on the list is getting the dash out cleaned up. I think Im going to do the HVAC doors while I'm in there. My luck they will be fine and 3 months from now will start leaking by.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the carpet out finally. Looks like I've got a bit of rust to deal with in the front. The little bit of poking I did I think its just surface. I hope that is all it is. Floor in the back looks pretty good. Just have to do another round of vacuuming and get some sort of disinfectant in there.

This is what the carpet looked like after I got it out. I pealed the backing off and it went immediately into the trash. My lord the smells coming off it was nauseating.

After a wash with just the garden hose. Didn't have my power washer since apparently I burned a hole in the hose last time I used it. It cleaned up ok for just a hose and no soap. The color of the water coming out was something. Looked like tea and again the smell. Hopefully this weekend I can hit the carpet with the power washer and some soap and get it looking better.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the backing what do you guys suggest? I've thought about getting new and also thought about getting sound deadening material. If I go with the sound deadening do I have to put in new backing? This is the first time I've done anything like this.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original carpet in WCJr didn't have a backing, and the replacement only had a thin rubber backing. I put SoffSeal sound deadener under it, and it does an excellent job tamping down the sound of my Cherry Bombs. Yes, I didn't know and installed it upside down, but I don't think it matters much.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're brave peeling that carpet up, I probably should have tried to save mine, but wasn't trying to fight the whole thing out, raining turds. Just cut it into sections, and into the trash it went. Also figured Id never get the smell all the way out.

No help here on the padding, etc. I'm going to end up coating my pans with monstaliner, or Ive also been looking at the replacement rubber floor, whatever they are called. Carpet and country just don't mix.

I think I would be pulling the dash, and door panels, then taking the power washer to the inside. Trying to scrub the nastiness out of the cracks, and wash it all away with a bottle of cleaner or something is not going to be pleasant, or get it all clean.

If you do wash it out, there should be a line of 1 1/2" body plugs along the underneath of the rockers on the inside facing the frame rails. You might pull one or two of those so it washes and drains them too. I don't know how crew cabs are laid out, but the mice had made nests in a foam/wire barrier at the bottoms of my extended cab section, which opens up into the rockers. They do/should have a normal drain at the back corner too though.

Dont know if it actually helped, but I grabbed a big box of baking soda and sprinkled it all over, wetted it all down, then let it sit before a rinse. Figured it would help neutralize odors, and any acids from the mouse pee, but I have no facts that it actually did anything. Truck smells nice now.

I probably went a little excessive, but I did not want to smell any damn mouse nasty after it was all said and done.