BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It won't hit 5600, it will stop itself at 4000 for the relearn. I may go try a relearn myself with the rev cut set at 5400 just to try and prove you guys wrong. :p
You're welcome to, but even if its less it still must be much higher. There is probably something in the logic in the ECU that verifies that, for some crazy reason. I guess instead of considering everyone's different rev limiter rpm they just have a blanket bit of code to cover their butts and it checks that the fuel cutoff is at least the factory setpoint.
i have the rev limit set at 4500 right now in P/N so that's where it's capping, even during relearn. doesn't seem to be taking.

so you are all saying i need to bump the redline up to 5600 and send it.. along with grounding the two pins, brake/e-brake dance, etc?
Nah, it won't go anywhere near 5k, it'll probably go to around 4200-4500 and stop, all on its own. If it works it will kill fuel at whatever max rpm it winds up hitting and spool down (that's your cue to let off the noise pedal).

Then you're done.

There is a step-by-step guide I posted in the big 454 thread.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed this earlier when I was crawling under the truck, it's like a trailer plate light and bracket, anyone else got something like this??? I looked under my red truck and there wasn't anything.

Attachments

• PXL_20221218_200849629.jpg
    PXL_20221218_200849629.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 14

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not stock. I'm gonna guess that a PO didn't have a bumper on the truck and mounted that license plate bracket to be legal.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Definitely not stock. I'm gonna guess that a PO didn't have a bumper on the truck and mounted that license plate bracket to be legal.
Rear bumper on the base model trim was still an option IIRC, and they also had a rear bumper delete option, for those who wanted a different (aftermarket) unit. Rear bumper on my crew cab is aftermarket, close to GM style but a little bit different. I think the VIN report showed that rear bumper delete....even though it's a Silverado, still was bought and ordered to be a farm truck!

Back in the square body days,our '78 GMC Sierra shop truck had no rear bumper on it when we bought it. The dealer was GMC Truck Center in SE Houston, and they may have ordered a lot of their pickups that way. It had a similar bracket on the left rear frame horn. Many dealers back in the day, had silver painted step bumpers on pickups, with the dealership name and city/town engraved and lettered on the bumper face. Sometimes the bumper was chrome but usually silver; our '81 Sierra had the silver painted one.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Rear bumper on the base model trim was still an option IIRC, and they also had a rear bumper delete option, for those who wanted a different (aftermarket) unit. Rear bumper on my crew cab is aftermarket, close to GM style but a little bit different. I think the VIN report showed that rear bumper delete....even though it's a Silverado, still was bought and ordered to be a farm truck!

Back in the square body days,our '78 GMC Sierra shop truck had no rear bumper on it when we bought it. The dealer was GMC Truck Center in SE Houston, and they may have ordered a lot of their pickups that way. It had a similar bracket on the left rear frame horn. Many dealers back in the day, had silver painted step bumpers on pickups, with the dealership name and city/town engraved and lettered on the bumper face. Sometimes the bumper was chrome but usually silver; our '81 Sierra had the silver painted one.
Yes the CCLB did have the rear bumper delete option, code EF1.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fought with the batteries for a few days, got them charged back up and back in the truck,

I'm pretty sure I finally killed the starter. Honestly surprised it's lasted as long as it did, we cranked it hard trying to get the truck running, so now it needs a sender AND a starter.

It's a junkyard truck, I knew this would happen. Doesn't make it any less annoying.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say it's time for a force fed 8.1 swap.
Don't tempt me, I want to keep it a diesel but a complete 8.1L with the full harness out of an 02 3500HD is for sale about an hour and a half away.
I want a Duramax in this truck but having a 454 and a 496 is extremely appealing.