I’m a DA…what maintenance have you screwed up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to tighten the nut on the alternator cable on our Cobalt. You know how alternators are. They have a stud, you place the cable on the stud, and you fasten the cable to the stud with a nut.

Well, as you can imagine, over time, the constant arcing from the loose cable actually welded the nut to the mounting stud. HOLY ****! Had to buy a new alternator and new alternator harness. Thankfully it wasn't worse (fire).

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I completely forgot to put the radiator cap back on after replacing the water pump, thermostat, heater core, and coolant hoses on my dad's square body once. He went for a 100 mile round trip drive and it overheated and dumped a bunch of the new coolant on the ground. Thankfully the thing didn't blow a head gasket or anything, it just got really hot.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This DA was tightening the filter the whole time!

I routinely use the "right-hand-rule" to confirm direction when I'm in doubt... which is often, when I'm in odd situations like yours.

But... I gotta remember to use my right hand. I've used my left at least once and that didn't work well.

I replaced an alternator and forgot to connect the hot lead. Drove it maybe 135mi (in the daylight... no headlights needed) when I remembered that I hadn't connected it. Pulled-over, attached wire and tightened it down. Luck was with me, the battery had enough juice left to start the engine.

Was replacing the intake gaskets on the Suburban's L31. I had the manifold off and was running a tap (by hand) through some bolt holes in the head, when I dropped the tap. Of course I was near the distributor hole in the oil gallery, and the tap took a dive into that hole and all the way down the oil pan. That was an unhappy moment. Spent the next many hours dropping the pan down just enough to get a magnet into it... and snagged the tap on the first try.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Under duress - father at my back - doing a service and general check on a VW my sister had just bought, I pulled the plug to check the gearbox oil level. And heard a clunk as the reverse selector mechanism dropped into the gearbox as the level plug wasn't the level plug but part of the reverse selector mechanism.
To cut a long story short, managed to fish the errant part back into place and avoid stripping the box. That would wait a few years for when a small piece of the aluminium welding rod I used to realign the parts that broke off (and would not flush out) jammed the reverse mechanism. Ooops! Sorry sis!

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked the oil on my wifes VW CC back in 2010. She and her sister were whining "hurry up, we want to get going". Ten minutes later they pull back in from filling up and say the engines smoking! I forgot to put the oil cap back on. Lucky for me I just had to reinstall it and did a quick pressure wash under the hood as it made a big mess! I was lucky they did not get on the interstate because I would probably have been buying her a new motor. Live and learn.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I rebuilt the top end of the 350 in my 88. I went to prime the oil pump and make sure we had oil flowing up to the top. I took the priming tool and after spinning it for a while I started smelling gas! I realized the Oil Pressure Switch turned on the fuel pump! The power going to that switch is "Hot at all Times"! Who knew? Luckily I had the Throttle Body already hooked up to the fuel lines or it really would have been a mess!

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot that the cam in my boat was a 4/7 swap firing order. it didn’t take me long to figure it out but it was still a simple mistake.

I’ve dropped a nut down the intake on my car in HS, it was a 5.0 mustang with a edelbrock performer intake with a side panel that had to be removed to get to the lower intake studs. Blew up the same motor street racing. It had all the cool stuff from that era. Gt40-p heads, 1.6/1.7 roller rockers on a F cam, pro-m mass air meter, bbk throttle body, full exhaust, c4 trans with 4.10 gears, SSM solid bushing control arms. All built from used parts from all my buddy’s cars. Street racing in Dfw was great in the very early 2000s

I’ve popped myself with magnetos.

Changed out a whole ignition system, only to realize it was valve float lol. To my defense, the valve springs were new and should not have had that problem. It’s hard to hear with open headers on a BBC at 6500 rpm

Msd boxes have no rev limiter if you don’t have a rpm chip installed :)

I fought an intermittent miss on my 6.7 Cummins, kept getting a code due to low fuel pressure. Figured it was due to the mini max demanding to much fuel or an injector issue. Took it to a shop and asked them check injection rate they said injectors where good. Long story short I pulled the valve/tappet cover and noticed the injector harness didn’t have a good connection on one of the injectors (not my doing) During that time it got a complete fass fuel system and a re tune. Truck would pull like a freight train and smoke the rear duals with ease. Had a lot of good times in that truck, my wife could change diapers, feed etc in the rear (mega cab) we hauled the race trailer all over the place with it.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The single biggest mistake I've ever made in the engine bay all started by making an
assumption that a Pontiac V8 is a Pontiac V8, since it's all based off the same block?

Back in the late '70s, while I was working in a 1 1/2 man garage, the shop owner
had a very good long time customer who owned a super clean '60s era full-size Poncho.
(Catalina?) Other than the tired 389ci-2bbl V8, the car was a clean 12-15(?) year old
survivor with decent curb appeal.

The owner enjoyed driving the car, but the engine was a chugger, running like a V7
on a good day, and a V6 on a bad day. We showed the customer the parade of sparks
on the Sun 1115, and showed how deactivating the 2 bad cylinders didn't make any
difference in the way it ran. But taking out any of the good cylinders would really
make the engine rock & roll on the motor mounts.

My boss worked up what it would cost to pull the heads & have them renewed. But
the engine was also burning oil, so putting fresh heads on a tired short block seemed
a surefire way to turn a good customer into a former customer. So he also worked up
an estimate to pull the motor, send it to the machine shop, and give the customer a
refreshed version of his original motor.

As you might have already guessed, the cost was wayyyy outside the customer's threshold
of pain. Meanwhile, in my home garage I happened to have a low-mileage '73 Pontiac 400ci-2bbl
V8 where the family car had been totaled in the right rear, and yet the engine still ran quietly
when I pulled it shortly after the incident.

Back then no orphan engine was safe from my ministrations, so I pulled it apart, and everything was
in good enough shape that I was able to ball hone, re-ring, fresh bearings, clean the heads & lap
the valves, reuse the original oil pump, original cam, lifters, new timing chain, fresh gaskets, etc.)
In other words, a low mileage V8 with a budget refresh applied, and the engine was waiting
for a new home.

So I told my boss about this near twin 400ci Poncho motor in my garage, and told him what I
was hoping to get for it (I can't remember the exact $$$) for this refreshed yet essentially stock
motor. I do remember that my boss was receptive to the idea, for he trusted my work, but it
would also allow him to replace the bad motor for about the same money as just having the original
cylinder heads alone refreshed. (ie: The machine shop he trusted didn't give their work away...but I did. :0)

The next time the customer came in for some work , my boss offered up this low-mileage refreshed
400 for a much more attractive price than redoing his tired 389. And since this wasn't a numbers-matching
Ram Air IV or anything like that, the customer enthusiastically authorized the swap.

I was confident that the 400 would deliver on the promise. And it was easy on the eyes, thanks to
a careful paint job after the build. So at the start of the day, the old engine came out, and the new
engine took it's place by the end of the same day. Wasn't rushing, but worked with a steady focus as
if I was being paid to do the job. Which I was. And I was hoping to hear it fire triumphantly by the
end of the same day. You know, like any proud teenager who wanted to show his boss what a great
wrench turner was working for him. :0)

So after all the fluids were checked & rechecked, the moment of truth arrives. My boss asks me if it's going
to start right up, and without hesitation I replied, "Absolutely." (As only a confident teenager can say it.)

So I turned the key, and instead of the expected wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha sound (where
you hear the starter speeding up and slowing down as it's audibly working through the compression
roller coaster) ...all I heard was a steady wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? WTF? My boss (who
was a very cool dude, and I consider him one of my mentors) gives me a quizzical look, and this was
one of those few times in my life where I could feel my cheeks burning from embarrassment. Imagine
working through an entire shift so confidently, and yet ending up in this Hero to Zero moment?

Disclaimer: I was no Poncho expert then, and still not an expert 4+ decades later. But with my Git-r-Done
blinders on, I never stopped to compare the flexplates between the 2 engines? So imagine when I removed
the inspection cover and discovered that the new flexplate was maybe 3/4"-1" or so away from the starter?
Seems that the original engine's flexplate was a slightly larger diameter than the newer 400 one?

My boss just shook his head. (Probably laughing on the inside, but zero traces of that on his mug.)
Time to close up shop, so I got to sleep on my inattention to detail. The next morning I was at the
shop waiting for my boss to show up. No words were said, but I got the transmission slid back far
enough to swap out the flexplates & get it all put back together with the focus that only comes when
you have goofed something and life doesn't get any better until you ungoof it.

With the original flexplate installed, it now looked like the starter would engage more than just air when
the key was turned. Now, after gorging on so much humble pie, I just wanted the engine to start right
off and show my boss that I wasn't a complete idiot.

It started on the 1st try on maybe the 5th wha. (I had poured gas into the fuel bowl of the Rochester
2-Jet so that we didn't have to wait for the fuel pump to prime & all that. I had also set the static timing
of the points distributor with an ohmeter to ~10° BTDC -- remember, my original goal was to impress the
boss with it starting immediately. :0) At any rate, I was literally weak with relief when it fired. The engine
was as smooth and quiet as any base-engine Pontiac 400 ever was.

The engine looked perfect on the Sun 1115, for after dialing in the idle mixture screws, ignition timing, and
idle speed, each deactivated cylinder dropped the idle speed the same rpm. All 8 were hitting the same &
sharing the load equally. (Here's a recent retro article on the 1115, see attached for a pic. Curbsideclassic 1115)

I took the vehicle for a test drive and did the classic ring seating routine. Full throttle from 30-60mph in 3rd, coast back
to 30, accelerate to 60, and repeat maybe 10-12 times? With a final check of everything under the hood (including the fluids)
the car owner was called & asked to pick up his car. I remember his face when I opened the hood and he saw
that fresh 400, looking like a sparkly fresh yet identical version of the chuggy 389 that he drove in a couple of days earlier.

And when we fired it up, it was like his old friend had just gone through a heart transplant -- no more V7 chugging, but
that smooth V8 burble.

After all this, every time we saw that customer he had the biggest grin on his face. He didn't want the sun, moon, and stars.
Just wanted his favorite ride to run like it used to back when he originally bought it. Oh yeah, almost forgot. We never told
him about the whole flexplate subroutine. And we had set expectations that it might take 3 days to do the swap, so from the
customer's perspective, we brought it in a day early.

Back then the Eagle flew every Friday. On that Friday, my boss paid me for the whole time I was there for the week. Plus
the money for the engine I supplied. But I gave him back the ~5 hours I had spent ungoofing the flexplate. Told him I didn't
want him to pay me for the time spent undoing such an obvious mistake.

He then asked me, "Did you learn anything from what happened?" I told him (truthfully) that I would never make that
mistake again. He then gave me back the money I had just given him, and he proceeded to tell me a similar story about
something he did way back when he was a teenager. And that sometimes we learn more from our mistakes than our
successes. And he also told me that the engine was just as good as I had told him it would be.

And that was that. Since then, I'm pretty careful to measure twice, swap once. For assuming all is identical, measuring zero
times, and swapping twice is the long way to pushing a mongrel project like this over the finish line.

Trust me on this. ;0)

Attachments

• Sun 1115 machine showing spark firing.jpg
    Sun 1115 machine showing spark firing.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: