97 K3500 power steering question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I'm trying to prime my steering/hydroboost system by spinning the pump with a drill. The pump is not pumping at all and there is what looks like a solenoid valve on the output from the pump. What does that do, and does it need to be activated for the system to pump?

Thanks!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the solenoid plugged in? What is your truck and what truck did the pump come off of? The solenoid is for the EVO system. Gives light steering effort in a parking lot and heavier when rolling. Personally, I like it a lot. When it works. But if your truck doesn't have it you'll need to delete the valve. A lot of reman pumps come with them installed but I'm not sure where to get the piece itself.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a remanned pump, and I just transferred the valve from the old pump. I figured it would at least pump a little so I could fill everything and get the fluid right before starting the engine. Tomorrow, I'll jack it up and turn the steering side-to-side to see if that helps. The valve is not activated; haven't hooked up the electrical yet.

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the solenoid plugged in? What is your truck and what truck did the pump come off of? The solenoid is for the EVO system. Gives light steering effort in a parking lot and heavier when rolling. Personally, I like it a lot. When it works. But if your truck doesn't have it you'll need to delete the valve. A lot of reman pumps come with them installed but I'm not sure where to get the piece itself.
Truck is a 97 K3500, and it came with the EVO system.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed my PS pump on my '00 K3500 last year. I didn't even know what EVO was back then, but the re-manufactured pump instructions just said to zip tie the EVO electrical connector so it is not hanging loose.

As far as bleeding, I just raised the front on jackstands and started engine and turned wheel left and right, carefully checking the PS reservoir oil level. Do this several times and all the air comes out in the reservoir.

Last edited: