90 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the 4.3 had about 300k miles on it when I bought the truck and it had already developed rod knock before I bought it as well. I knew well & good that a new motor was going to be necessary which is why I paid so little for the vehicle. My expectations were not high. With that being said I also knew that driving it around meant it was a ticking time bomb. Well that bomb expired at around 3:45pm on May 16th doing roughly 50mph while shifting into 5th gear lol. We were picking up speed when all of a sudden BOOM and all power was gone. So like any of you I coasted to a safe place. Called a friend and AAA. We were only 2.5 miles from our house.

Check out the carnage:
You must be registered for see images attach

P/S side oil pan

D/S oil pan

Debris I’ve dug out so far

In light of the “passing” of my 4.3 I already have a potential newer motor swap in the works. I’m looking at a 3rd generation 5.3L v8 with ECU & harness for under $1k but I gotta talk to my buddies shop because I don’t really have the knowledge, tools, or space to do a motor swap. We’ll see what happens though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow! I'm assuming you are keeping it manual shift? You have a NV3500? I don't think those ever came with a 5.3, but the 4.8s did. And I think the 2500HD with 6.0/8.1 came with a NV4500 or NV4600? I don't know much about manual trannies.

I'd say a 5.7 Vortec SBC V8 or 4.8/5.3 LS would be pretty cool on that truck.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I'm assuming you are keeping it manual shift? You have a NV3500? I don't think those ever came with a 5.3, but the 4.8s did. And I think the 2500HD with 6.0/8.1 came with a NV4500 or NV4600? I don't know much about manual trannies.

I'd say a 5.7 Vortec SBC V8 or 4.8/5.3 LS would be pretty cool on that truck.

I'm definitely keeping the manual shift. it was one of the selling factors when i bought the truck. i don't remember off the top of my head which transmission is in the truck though. i found a local guy that deals used Chevy motors with an uncut harness & ECU for $800 loaded up. I'm going with a 5.3 out of 02ish Tahoe.

My buddies shop quoted me $2,500 to pull my motor, refresh the motor i provide, install the motor, wire everything up, and tune the truck. So it'll be turn-key ready for me. They specialize in LS motors. Money's tight right now with some personal issues so it probably won't be until fall until i can get everything together and to the shop. For now she's sitting patiently in the garage.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck still isn't running but that's because in August 2021 I learned I am infertile. My wife & i tried for a year the "old fashioned" way to have a baby, moved on to 3 unsuccessful IUI's. Then we had to take the plunge into IVF which is very expensive but cheaper than adopting. We did 3 IVF transfers, 1 unsuccessful, 1 resulting in a miscarriage, and 1 successful transfer resulting in our now 9 month old daughter, Harper.

Fortunately the truck fits in my garage as i'm sure you've seen in past posts. Despite it not functioning, it is out of the elements. Over the past couple years I have been trying to work on it here and there. I actually tore down a lot of the blown up 4.3 to really get into it and learn hands on. it's not like i could hurt the motor anymore than what's been done. Found a lot of carnage in there. For instance a bluetooth connecting rod and a floating piston lol. Not gonna lie, I’m not ashamed of blowing that motor. It was worn out & abused. At least I sent it in a blaze of glory.

I have absolutely no intentions of getting rid of the truck, so in the meantime it will occupy my garage. I'm still floating around the forum reading and educating myself to the best of my ability. Still searching junkyards for any parts I can use. About a year ago I picked up a smooth front bumper off a w/t in the junkyard and some other odds & ends.

I originally said I'd decided on a 5.3 swap but now I'm not sure what motor I want to do. Maybe a 350, or a 4.8, or just slap another 4.3 in it so I can finally drive it again. I sure do miss driving it and still love this truck.

my goal right now is to turn the truck around and get that 4.3 out of there.

Any advice on what to do about my a/c system without getting Freon everywhere?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate that she’s being neglected but at least she’s not wasting away outside. She’ll see pavement again someday though.

OEM dash mounted cup holder

Smooth front bumper I picked up

Pretty sure this is supposed to be attached to something….

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about just picking up another 4.3 running engine, as the swap will be part for part so very little expense, and you will be driving again. Then while you are driving the 4.3 you could start collecting parts for a bigger motor when money and circumstances permit.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about just picking up another 4.3 running engine, as the swap will be part for part so very little expense, and you will be driving again. Then while you are driving the 4.3 you could start collecting parts for a bigger motor when money and circumstances permit.
That is a very reasonable possibility I’ve recently started thinking about.