AIR Injection needed for 88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88k1500silvy

Reaction score
I’m looking for an AIR injection system as I bought a K1500 from out of state and it’s required in California. If you have one laying around near me, I’d make the trip or if you know all the part numbers and would be willing to help me, I’d appreciate it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for an AIR injection system as I bought a K1500 from out of state and it’s required in California.
if your vehicle didn't come with A.I.R. from the factory (Federal Standard) CA can't make you put one on (CA Standard). You simply have to pass Smog requirements for your truck.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m looking for an AIR injection system as I bought a K1500 from out of state and it’s required in California. If you have one laying around near me, I’d make the trip or if you know all the part numbers and would be willing to help me, I’d appreciate it.

Rockauto has the piping and NAPA sells the pump. Check your RPO codes or emissions sticker first to make sure it had one from the factory. I drive a 1990 federal emissions truck in CA and never had an issue.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CA does have their own, more expensive, catalytic convertors though. They check the numbers at every smog test in my experience.
Pre 2015ish or earlier I forgot I get hassled all the time I dont remember the year but before a certain year you were exempt they didn't put numbers on them yet. I still have a very old cat that still working surprisingly. Every 2 years the smog guy gives me shi, it's the same guy who passed me previously which boggles my mind.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the air injection system came out in the later years 98-00 because I've seen some with out it. I had a hard time finding headers with them back ordered for almost 6 months. If I could do it over I would buy a earlier year because the a.i.r takes up a lot of space. It takes all of the spare battery on the driver side and of course the abs. Best bet is the junkyard or Facebook or Craigslist. And find a parts vehicle. It's a lot of vacuum hoses and pipes

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the air injection system came out in the later years 98-00 because I've seen some with out it. I had a hard time finding headers with them back ordered for almost 6 months. If I could do it over I would buy a earlier year because the a.i.r takes up a lot of space. It takes all of the spare battery on the driver side and of course the abs. Best bet is the junkyard or Facebook or Craigslist. And find a parts vehicle. It's a lot of vacuum hoses and pipes
In '88, the AIR pump is belt-driven from under the A/C compressor, on the right side of the engine. The plumbing includes a vacuum-operated diverter valve with vacuum solenoid, a hose to the air cleaner assembly, and hoses to each exhaust manifold with check valves.

If I remember, I'll take a photo of my '88 tomorrow.

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try not to push my opinions on other people, but I would caution you to consider Playing with TBI's comment before you go out and buy a bunch of air system parts, assuming your truck is a 5.7 or 5.0.
I am intimately familiar with two pre-94 5.7s that test & pass smog every 2 years in CA and do NOT have an air system (smog pump and air injection).
The tech will check the emissions sticker under the hood (and the shop's smog computer probably also checks against it's data) to determine whether he looks for an air system, the stove pipe, etc. on his visual inspection. If the smog pump is not on the sticker, (and the sticker is correct for you truck's vin) then you don't need to install a smog pump, etc.
If you don't have a stove pipe from your exhaust manifold to the snorkel, and the related vacuum lines and parts, I would focus on that, that's mandatory for the visual.
If you don't have your original under hood emissions sticker, i believe you can still purchase them from some dealers based on your vin number.

As a side note the CA 454's did tend to come with air systems, including a smog pump, even the super sports. hope this helps.