AIR Injection needed for 88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88k1500silvy

Reaction score
I try not to push my opinions on other people, but I would caution you to consider Playing with TBI's comment before you go out and buy a bunch of air system parts, assuming your truck is a 5.7 or 5.0.
I am intimately familiar with two pre-94 5.7s that test & pass smog every 2 years in CA and do NOT have an air system (smog pump and air injection).
The tech will check the emissions sticker under the hood (and the shop's smog computer probably also checks against it's data) to determine whether he looks for an air system, the stove pipe, etc. on his visual inspection. If the smog pump is not on the sticker, (and the sticker is correct for you truck's vin) then you don't need to install a smog pump, etc.
If you don't have a stove pipe from your exhaust manifold to the snorkel, and the related vacuum lines and parts, I would focus on that, that's mandatory for the visual.
If you don't have your original under hood emissions sticker, i believe you can still purchase them from some dealers based on your vin number.

As a side note the CA 454's did tend to come with air systems, including a smog pump, even the super sports. hope this helps.
Sweet man I appreciate your help, do you know if the vin would tell me anything by decoding it?

88k1500silvy

Reaction score
In '88, the AIR pump is belt-driven from under the A/C compressor, on the right side of the engine. The plumbing includes a vacuum-operated diverter valve with vacuum solenoid, a hose to the air cleaner assembly, and hoses to each exhaust manifold with check valves.

If I remember, I'll take a photo of my '88 tomorrow.
Thank you, appreciate the help

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet man I appreciate your help, do you know if the vin would tell me anything by decoding it?
I went through this a couple of months ago when I was looking at an OBS that was for sale. I wasn't able to track any smog info through the vin.
I think it really depends on your under hood emissions diagram sticker. (I refer to it as 'under hood' but it's normally on your fan shroud.)
If you don't have it, you may have to get a replacement from a gm dealer.
If someone can correct me on this please let me know, it would be great if there was more info on this.

But just as PlayingWithTBI said in an earlier comment - if your truck was originally from outside of CA and your diagram doesn't show a smog system, you don't have to add a smog system to make it pass. (And that might be the difference in emissions sticker diagrams.)
I think that's what it boils down to. (however you may have to replace a non-CA catalytic convertor.)

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In '88, the AIR pump is belt-driven from under the A/C compressor...

...If I remember, I'll take a photo of my '88 tomorrow.
You must be registered for see images attach

Photos of an accessory-drive system from a core engine.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the emissions sticker from my 88 - I know it's a CA truck, I bought it in CA 23 years ago, LOL. Note it shows a belt for bypassing the A.I.R. pump with the dotted line but, it also shows the vacuum line to the pump's control valve. IDK if a non-CA truck is the same way but, all you have to do is get a belt for AC and w/o A.I.R. to bypass it. As I said earlier, you do have to make a spacer to replace the pump since it's used to help mount the AC compressor.

This fits fine...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said earlier, you do have to make a spacer to replace the pump since it's used to help mount the AC compressor.
I don't think the AIR pump and the A/C compressor share any mounting parts aside from the main "horseshoe" accessory-mount bracket.

Maybe the aluminum-bracket accessory-mount system is different.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the AIR pump and the A/C compressor share any mounting parts aside from the main "horseshoe" accessory-mount bracket.
You need that for support. I wouldn't take the chance of breaking the stamped steel accessory bracket.