90 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m Trevor, I live in North Carolina and I’m originally from Boston Mass. Lived there from birth until I was 18 and I moved south in 2009. For the past 6 months I’ve been searching for a 4th gen GM pickup and I finally found “the one”. It’s a 1990 Chevrolet k1500, straight drive, single cab, short box. I really wanted a 1990 bc it’s the year I was born. It has minimal rust and plenty of problems but it runs and drives. Took it home for $1000.

The past 6 months I’ve been on here frequently looking through all the troubleshooting threads trying to learn everything I can about these trucks. I’ve always had a soft spot for 90s GMs.

I’d like to get the truck running smoothly to make it a fun weekend truck for my wife & I. Hopefully it’ll stay with us for a very long time.

I daily drive a 2016 Subaru Impreza Sport. I’ve had Subarus for over 10 years. We also have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ.

Here’s a few pictures of her as she sits.
You must be registered for see images attach

It currently has 32” Falken Wildpeak A/T tires. I put one of my old radios in the dash to get rid of the big hole and threw some of my stickers on the back glass. I gave it a good wash, vacuum, and cleaned up the dash.

I’m excited to really dig into her and start fixing her up.

The motor has some sort of knock. So that and all the safety aspects are first on the list. I’m gonna freshen up all the lights inside & out, tint the windows, lift it 2”, and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all! I’m Trevor, I live in North Carolina and I’m originally from Boston Mass. Lived there from birth until I was 18 and I moved south in 2009. For the past 6 months I’ve been searching for a 4th gen GM pickup and I finally found “the one”. It’s a 1990 Chevrolet k1500, straight drive, single cab, short box. I really wanted a 1990 bc it’s the year I was born. It has minimal rust and plenty of problems but it runs and drives. Took it home for $1000.

Our border guards have been falling down on the job and have let another one in! Welcome to the land of rust free trucks! Looks like you have found a good one once you get that knock sorted. Just remember the number one rule here in the South. Don't tell us how you did it up north!

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1000 seems like a great price, now I feel like I paid too much for mine! How many miles? Which engine?

The dash says 308k. It has the 4.3 v6. Like I said I was searching for a while. When I saw this one I had to jump on it lol. The guy bought it off a buddy who didn’t tell him it had rod knock so he wanted to get rid of it and took advantage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dash says 308k. It has the 4.3 v6. Like I said I was searching for a while. When I saw this one I had to jump on it lol. The guy bought it off a buddy who didn’t tell him it had rod knock so he wanted to get rid of it and took advantage!

Nice find! What’s the plan with the motor?

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our border guards have been falling down on the job and have let another one in! Welcome to the land of rust free trucks! Looks like you have found a good one once you get that knock sorted. Just remember the number one rule here in the South. Don't tell us how you did it up north!

I’ve been in the south for 11 years now and love every bit of it. Thanks for the welcome :)