97 k1500 transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500305

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 97 k1500 with the 5.0 vortec it just hit 200k and it has no lights on the dash whatsoever now recently when I start it to go to work I’ll take off and it will shift perfect thru all the gears but I’ll stop for gas an shut it off then get back on the road and it will shift perfect thru every gear but will not go into overdrive this only happens every so often if I let it sit for awhile then drive again it acts like nothing is Wrong and keeps repeating itself any ideas? This truck runs and drives great and has no lights on although my catalatyic converter has been rattling recently also and it has a bit of rough idle so I’m gonna fix that soon to

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 97 k1500 with the 5.0 vortec it just hit 200k and it has no lights on the dash whatsoever now recently when I start it to go to work I’ll take off and it will shift perfect thru all the gears but I’ll stop for gas an shut it off then get back on the road and it will shift perfect thru every gear but will not go into overdrive this only happens every so often if I let it sit for awhile then drive again it acts like nothing is Wrong and keeps repeating itself any ideas? This truck runs and drives great and has no lights on although my catalatyic converter has been rattling recently also and it has a bit of rough idle so I’m gonna �fix that soon
Ok so these trucks have a problem with blowing the indicator light for the check engine light, does it come on when you first turn the key, cuz mine didn't the night changed the bulb no it won't turn off hahaha but yeah, still plug a scanner to it if you can and go from there

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 97 k1500 with the 5.0 vortec it just hit 200k and it has no lights on the dash whatsoever now recently when I start it to go to work I’ll take off and it will shift perfect thru all the gears but I’ll stop for gas an shut it off then get back on the road and it will shift perfect thru every gear but will not go into overdrive this only happens every so often if I let it sit for awhile then drive again it acts like nothing is Wrong and keeps repeating itself any ideas? This truck runs and drives great and has no lights on although my catalatyic converter has been rattling recently also and it has a bit of rough idle so I’m gonna fix that soon to
This is one giant run-on sentence which makes it very hard to read.

You need to hook a two way scan tool and drive it under the same conditions to see if the ecm is commanding a 3-4 upshift when you're not actually upshifting. If the command is being given then your next step is to replace the sealing ring on the 4th gear servo apply piston and see if that fixes it. You'll want to also check servo travel (should be between .075-.125). If servo is fine, then valve body is the likely culprit...

At 200k, I would start preparing for an overhaul as its unusual to get that many miles and you certainly got your money's worth out of that trans.

97k1500305

Reaction score
Ok so these trucks have a problem with blowing the indicator light for the check engine light, does it come on when you first turn the key, cuz mine didn't the night changed the bulb no it won't turn off hahaha but yeah, still plug a scanner to it if you can and go from there
Hmm I will check tomorrow morning. I was not aware that these trucks had that issue it is just weird to me how it just started doing this when it’s been driving so good and I don’t beat on it at all.

97k1500305

Reaction score
This is one giant run-on sentence which makes it very hard to read.

You need to hook a two way scan tool and drive it under the same conditions to see if the ecm is commanding a 3-4 upshift when you're not actually upshifting. If the command is being given then your next step is to replace the sealing ring on the 4th gear servo apply piston and see if that fixes it. You'll want to also check servo travel (should be between .075-.125). If servo is fine, then valve body is the likely culprit...

At 200k, I would start preparing for an overhaul as its unusual to get that many miles and you certainly got your money's worth out of that trans.
I will have to see about getting a scan tool to use. Would a broken/plugged cat cause this issue? I know recently my cat has been rattling really badly and it idles rough when at stop signs. I’m going to get it fixed as soon as possible.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will have to see about getting a scan tool to use. Would a broken/plugged cat cause this issue? I know recently my cat has been rattling really badly and it idles rough when at stop signs. I’m going to get it fixed as soon as possible.
Plugged cat will prevent it from running right and maybe indirectly cause transmission command and control problems so def get it fixed asap.

And buy a bi-directional scan tool. If you are a DYI'er you absolutely need one.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
any update man, you get her rolling good again