97 k1500 2 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500305

Reaction score
hey everybody so in my past threads I was having an issue with my check engine light not coming on in my 97 k1500. I went ahead and replaced the bulb inside the instrument cluster and still nothing when I turn the key on any ideas? Also I was changing my spark plugs today and noticed an orange wire under the brake booster disconnected it runs into a big harness of wires. I’m sure it is supposed to be connected somewhere I just don’t know where or what it’s for any ideas would be greatly appreciated with that also thanks.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
hey everybody so in my past threads I was having an issue with my check engine light not coming on in my 97 k1500. I went ahead and replaced the bulb inside the instrument cluster and still nothing when I turn the key on any ideas? Also I was changing my spark plugs today and noticed an orange wire under the brake booster disconnected it runs into a big harness of wires. I’m sure it is supposed to be connected somewhere I just don’t know where or what it’s for any ideas would be greatly appreciated with that also thanks.
The orange wire is a 12V auxiliary wire that's pre-run by the factory (along with a blue brake wire) for use when installing a trailer brake controllers. They leave them disconnected (tucked under brake booster and behind the license plate) when the truck is built.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
hey everybody so in my past threads I was having an issue with my check engine light not coming on in my 97 k1500. I went ahead and replaced the bulb inside the instrument cluster and still nothing when I turn the key on any ideas?
Has it ever worked the whole time you've owned the truck? If not, then I'd say it's possible a previous owner cut the wire somewhere along the way to hide the fact the check engine light was on. Look in the "Engine" section of the forum and you'll find a sticky post with free downloads of all the factory service manuals. Download your year model and look in the wiring diagrams to find the wire color for your CEL. Disconnect the plugs from the PCM and dash cluster then do a continuity check from one end to the other to find out if the wire has been cut or damaged.

Richard