97 yukon radio problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's it going guys I have this 97 yukon having some weird issue with the radio. I'm not sure if any of you have ran into this problem. So when I raise the volume past 31 the audio just cuts off. The radio won't shut off but the sound will cut off it'll come back on but if kept at 31 it cuts off again. Sometimes the radio will display a message saying check wiring or mis-wiring. I've been trying to find where the ground is for the harness of the radio but I can't seem to find a diagram with its location. I've triple checked the wiring from the original harness to the kenwood I just put in. I don't believe mine came with the factory Amp for the stereo.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the FSM for your year? The radio , amp , tape, speaker, wire digram is in there. What ever radio package you have is in the RPO code on the glovebox.
In a sticky above is the link for free factory service manuals PDF downloads.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have the FSM for your year? The radio , amp , tape, speaker, wire digram is in there. What ever radio package you have is in the RPO code on the glovebox.
I'm not sure. But I don't believe mine came with the factory amp. And who ever had this truck before did a hack job on the factory wiring. I've checked the factory service manuals but it doesn't specify where the grounds are located for that radio harness.. I will check the rpo code though once I get off work.

Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Which is the code to see if I have fsm?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the codes off the glove box then go to the list in FSM.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you see how the three digit codes explain the options installed?
If you have the OE, GM Factory service manuals, did you look in book 2,; Section 8 electric diagnosis? Audio chapter?