Upgrade on stock radio??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this is covered and I haven’t found it. Of course if it has, please point me in that direction. Also when it comes to audio and sound I know virtually nothing short of how to adjust the volume. What I want to do is update the factory speakers and maybe add a little bass….maybe. Is something like this achievable with the factory CDM radio unit? I’m also going to do the Bluetooth upgrade to the CDM. Using an aftermarket deck is not an option for me, personally I don’t like they way they look at all, and the retro sound products-well, I’ll keep my opinions to myself, but not an option either. I know these old school systems are severely out dated but looks are everything. 1991 standard cab K1500.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Update your CDM - if I had to guess, you're probably still running the old style dual-PCB CDM. The newer single board CDM found in 93-94 trucks have better output, from my experience. They're also much easier to replace capacitors in as there's only 3 or 4 of them. If you're still running factory speakers, you can replace the dash speakers with a set of component plate speakers from Infinity (I put KAPPA 64CFX in mine, LOVE EM) - rear pillars can handle just about anything that isn't too deep mounting, I'm running a pair of Alpine Type S 4x6 coaxial speakers in mine.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Bit pricey for my blood but then again I rebuild them from junkyard trucks for fun lol. Do you have a cassette player, and is it manual or automated with the 5 band EQ on the left? That one linked won't work with the 5 band EQ properly, only the lowest and highest bands will be adjustable.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
there are other listings like that I will post them they are NOT mine and the one I posted is NOT mone either