Alternator wire upgrade on 91 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El profe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here. Recently on my 91 c1500 I have been ¨upgrading¨ my battery cables and grounds. About a month ago I could not get the truck to start. I thought it was the fuel pump but it was not and I ended up changing some parts and took it upon myself to change cables too just in case. It ended up being the IAC. I m just about done with the cables but in upgrading the alternator wire I wanted to make sure I can do what I want to do. My alt wire does not go directly to the battery, it goes to a junction block on the firewall. My truck came from the factory like this. I want to run it to the battery since I have read in different places that that is where it should go. Should I do that or leave it as is ? Either way I want to upgrade to a 4awg with a 8awg fusible link, like I said from alternator to fuse block or directly to battery. What do you guys think or has anyone else run into something like this.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There shouldn't be an issue running it straight to the battery, but I do like the idea of it going to the junction block better because that is one less connection to fail at the battery terminal. The less I have hanging off the side post, the happier I am lol.