Dash radio & cassette/equalizer problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My first post at the forum after joining today. My girl owns a 1990 K2500 pickup and the radio does not work but did used to work when she bought the truck years ago. The clock was the last to go. The cassette player and equalizer also do not work. Checked all power and grounds and related fuses. I have seen a couple you tube videos about these going out and just requires replacement. Is there something I might be missing? As a retired tech, I like to be thorough before I shoot the parts cannon at it. Thanks for any info.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Generally the CDM (the "brain" unit of the stereo that's to the right of the accelerator pedal) just goes kaput due to old electrolytic capacitors failing. Kinda have to just throw the parts cannon at that :/ better to replace it with one from a 93-94 anyway as those CDMs were built better in my personal opinion. There's a chance you won't have to replace the cassette deck or head, but if I had to guess, I'd say the drive belt of the cassette deck is probably finished too. It can be replaced but requires quite the disassembly of the deck.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Generally the CDM (the "brain" unit of the stereo that's to the right of the accelerator pedal) just goes kaput due to old electrolytic capacitors failing. Kinda have to just throw the parts cannon at that :/ better to replace it with one from a 93-94 anyway as those CDMs were built better in my personal opinion. There's a chance you won't have to replace the cassette deck or head, but if I had to guess, I'd say the drive belt of the cassette deck is probably finished too. It can be replaced but requires quite the disassembly of the deck.
Right now she just uses a radio in there with her. If I replace anything, it will be the whole unit(s). I dread it because I am 6'4" and 280 lbs. and laying under that dash will be no fun for me but is doable. Thanks for the 93-94 years info as well. The truck is so straight that I want to do it for her.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score