1989 radio suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just bought a 1989 single cab k1500 in the last week and Im looking to install a new radio head unit I have the speakers and everything I need already just trying to find out what headhunt I should go with inside and why I have 2 spots for radio units to go I have one under my middle two vents and one by my steering column above the A/C controls but just let me know what y’all run in y’all system

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought a 1989 single cab k1500 in the last week and Im looking to install a new radio head unit I have the speakers and everything I need already just trying to find out what headhunt I should go with inside and why I have 2 spots for radio units to go I have one under my middle two vents and one by my steering column above the A/C controls but just let me know what y’all run in y’all system
Welcome from Alberta Canada.

The one by your A/C controls is the radio tuner and controls for the tape deck. There is also a control box up under the dash (can't remember the name of it) that both pieces you see plug into. You need all 3 for the stock system to work.

What are you looking for in a stereo?
Play CD's?
GPS navigation with maps?
Satellite radio?
Android auto or Car play?
Streaming services like Spotify or the like?
Do you want a single DIN or double DIN size
How much do you want to spend?

You will need a dash kit to hold the radio of your choice, wiring harness/adapter and a antenna adapter as any aftermarket deck will not accept the factory antenna.
If you want a double DIN one, you will most likely have to cut out a lower section of your dash to make it fit.
Check out Crutchfield, they have a great site that tells you what you need and what fits

Most people take out the tape deck and leave the radio in there. You can get storage cubby or blank plates if you want as well.

I have a 25yr old Clarion CD player waiting to go back in mine. Or I may upgrade

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe that it depends on the radio used. If it's "full depth" the entire hight of the radio, it will probably have to get cut. I've seen double din radios that only the upper 1/2 is full depth but the lower 1/2 is thin, just for the screen.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Found some pictures to help the visualization. Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.

The one by your A/C controls is the radio tuner and controls for the tape deck. There is also a control box up under the dash (can't remember the name of it) that both pieces you see plug into. You need all 3 for the stock system to work.

What are you looking for in a stereo?
Play CD's?
GPS navigation with maps?
Satellite radio?
Android auto or Car play?
Streaming services like Spotify or the like?
Do you want a single DIN or double DIN size
How much do you want to spend?

You will need a dash kit to hold the radio of your choice, wiring harness/adapter and a antenna adapter as any aftermarket deck will not accept the factory antenna.
If you want a double DIN one, you will most likely have to cut out a lower section of your dash to make it fit.
Check out Crutchfield, they have a great site that tells you what you need and what fits

Most people take out the tape deck and leave the radio in there. You can get storage cubby or blank plates if you want as well.

I have a 25yr old Clarion CD player waiting to go back in mine. Or I may upgrade
I’m wanting to fit a double din would it be possible if I take the stock radio out and get a new panel by my vents to flush that out and put the aftermarket radio above my AC controls

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m wanting to fit a double din would it be possible if I take the stock radio out and get a new panel by my vents to flush that out and put the aftermarket radio above my AC controls
So if I'm reading this right, you want a double DIN right above the A/C controls.
That's not going to happen my friend. The radios are to wide to fit in there. I have seen someone hack out the left side of the area and stuff one in there, looked horrible.

That's why I asked if you wanted to play CD's or needed a screen. You can look at the circle style marine style radios. That would allow you to have in in that spot, but your source material will be limited.