1997 k1500 4x4 transmisson diagnostic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hohenstein96

Reaction score
Truck has 373,*** miles on it. 10,000 miles ago I had bought a stage 2 transmission from Monster. First couple months it had a good firm shift into all gears and then it started to feel like it had a neutral shift into every gear. I wasn't getting an code until recently. Code p0751 is now on. It wouldn't go into overdrive but only happened once. I can manually shift in into the gears and they are all there.
Any ideas? Or something I need to look at. I only want to drop the pan one time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck has 373,*** miles on it. 10,000 miles ago I had bought a stage 2 transmission from Monster. First couple months it had a good firm shift into all gears and then it started to feel like it had a neutral shift into every gear. I wasn't getting an code until recently. Code p0751 is now on. It wouldn't go into overdrive but only happened once. I can manually shift in into the gears and they are all there.
Any ideas? Or something I need to look at. I only want to drop the pan one time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P0751 in a 4L60E is for Solenoid A (stuck off). Are you starting out in 2nd gear at all?

If you're neutral on upshifts, it can be a product of sol A intermittently failing to energize or it could be applied elements.

You can test Sol A for continuity via the transmission harness case connector without dropping the pan.

Ill edit this post with a diagram and some instructions but you're going to be dropping the pan so you can test Sol A directly to compare with the harness test result and to evaluate the contents at the bottom. If its all burnt clutch material, you're yanking it out for overhaul.

Monster Transmissions leave a lot to be desired for what you pay.

Hohenstein96

Reaction score
It starts out in 1st gear and does a neutral like shift through all of the gears. If I manually shift it, it doesn't do it as bad but still does it.
I check the fluid frequently and it it always full, looks clean and not burnt.
If i take it out of over drive gear and drive in third, it doesn't do it as bad.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It starts out in 1st gear and does a neutral like shift through all of the gears. If I manually shift it, it doesn't do it as bad but still does it.
I check the fluid frequently and it it always full, looks clean and not burnt.
If i take it out of over drive gear and drive in third, it doesn't do it as bad.
Test Sol A, B and your 3-2 control solenoid for continuity (note - these solenoids can fail mechanically but since yours is throwing a code, it may or may not be providing the right continuity signal to the PCM). Your problem sounds mechanical to me, given you're shifting as you should however the shifts are not normal (false-neutrals are typically line pressure or applied elements related).

I'd start with a line pressure test to determine if you're getting adequate pressure inside the unit. You should see somewhere between 55-75 PSI in P, N, D4, D3, 90-120 PSI in Reverse and 140-180 PSI in Manual Low, 2. Manually shifting increases the line pressure significantly over what is generated when in D4 so if your applied elements (forward clutch, 3-4 clutch, 2-4 band) are heavily worn, they may not hold under normal line pressures but hold a bit under elevated pressures in the non-D4 forward range settings.

Here's the wiring diagram for your case connector...You can test it there as well as the solenoids themselves directly once you drop the pan.

You must be registered for see images attach