Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dasburb

Reaction score
Hi everyone--I read the sticky about transmission compatibility, and I'd like to ask for input about what to do, what it'll cost me, and what the problems might be. Apologies in advance for a long post and thank you if you're reading it.

Background: I love my suburban, I take it everywhere (40+ states and counting), and I'd like to get it to 500k miles. Some people **** after lamborghinis, ferraris, and g-wagens, but I already own my favorite car ever. It has a 3-4 shift stutter and it's starting to be stressful to drive anywhere that isn't as rural as Nevada. I'm fairly certain that this is something going off in the transmission and it's really stressing me out.

background on the car: 97' with one-piece sunshell, and a floor/manual 4x4 t-case (I'm not sure if the t-case type matters here)

I'm trying to determine a course of action and want to lay out my options (and get input)

1. The obvious:

Put in a rebuilt transmission from Monster transmission/somewhere 'new'
the problem/worry with #1
It's going to cost me $2-3k, I've heard bad reviews from monster, and I'm kinda kicking the can a bit.

2. acquire another 4L60e from another gmt400
This would actually be ideal, but it's hard to find another '97. I've read in the sticky that a 96' is also a direct swap, and that I apparently only need a ground added to use a later 4L60e
the worry with #2
Is this definitively the case? will a 99' 4l60 just bolt right up and (provided I figure out how to add a ground) run smoothly? If this is the case my life is much easier. I could really use some confirmation here and if so I'll find a whole parts car. At the risk of sounding silly (but to be extra careful): will one from a Tahoe/Yukon or a Silverado/Sierra work too?

3. the 4L80 swap
people talk about how bulletproof the 4L80 is, but it sounds like there's a lot more work involved (including driveshaft swaps) and potentially failing CA's authoritarian inspections (damn them).
the worry with #3
I'm less daunted by the technical aspect of this but am more concerned around efficiency and functionality. I often repeat a line about how GM engineers spent $2B designing things to be the way they were and am concerned it will create stresses on other components of the car.

4. a manual swap
I have hesitations about manuals as this is the car I often will be driving after very long hikes/bike rides/days in the sun, and I've had leg cramps before when driving. I feel like this may be better for the car, but the 'mindlessness' is actually some of the appeal. I also know that this would (theoretically) be the longest-lasting fix.
the worry with #4
I feel like it's a whole can of worms and I haven't done a ton of research into it. I'm also not sure where the best resources for this are (much less the nv3500/4500)

ty if you took the time to read this and reply

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Calif smog , emissions control compliance and testing. It's not a vehicle inspection, a 4l80 swap would not has nothing to do with our biannual smog checks.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your goal of 100% reliability would have me recommending a 4l80e swap. However, the 4l60e can be built to reach your goals as well. This would be the easiest option.
Considering everything, I recommend sending your transmission to someone like nicktransmissions. He'll rebuild it to go the distance for your application and needs.
Monster transmissions? Ehh, no. If they were "all that", you'd read about it on this forum. I'm not saying they're no good, I'm saying they aren't the best.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone--I read the sticky about transmission compatibility, and I'd like to ask for input about what to do, what it'll cost me, and what the problems might be. Apologies in advance for a long post and thank you if you're reading it.
Your 3-4 clutch pack is going out...All sun shells are one-piece.

1996-1997 will directly interchange with each other (98+ use a six bolt ext housing so prob wont work with your tcase) but buying a used 4L60e is a massive gamble. Just pull yours out and have it rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Ive rebuilt plenty of Monster's transmissions and they leave a lot to be desired.

No need to swap to a 4L80 or any other transmission, just find someone local to you that is competent and trustworthy and they can take it from there...

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What can anyone here offer in experience or knowing what’s needed too swap a NV3500
Or Nv4500 manual into my
99 suburban (2WD) behind a 5.7

I for one haven’t seen to many if any posts vids how too write ups for a 1/2ton c1500 suburban. I know some of the 2500s /454 came with a stick I think !

I just wanna know my best route / sourcing from the right “era and “year truck for the right trans and what else is involved beside the clutch pedal swap.
What are The hard parts if any like will my drive shaft length be good? Would a 3500 be ok with normal driving with a Suburban they are also way more inexpensive to get and find then Nv4500 used.

I can swap the pedals I can Do all the work I just need to know of any particular work around or issues that would apply for specific swapping this into a 99 Chevy suburban

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can anyone here offer in experience or knowing what’s needed too swap a NV3500
Or Nv4500 manual into my
99 suburban (2WD) behind a 5.7

I for one haven’t seen to many if any posts vids how too write ups for a 1/2ton c1500 suburban. I know some of the 2500s /454 came with a stick I think !

I just wanna know my best route / sourcing from the right “era and “year truck for the right trans and what else is involved beside the clutch pedal swap.
What are The hard parts if any like will my drive shaft length be good? Would a 3500 be ok with normal driving with a Suburban they are also way more inexpensive to get and find then Nv4500 used.

I can swap the pedals I can Do all the work I just need to know of any particular work around or issues that would apply for specific swapping this into a 99 Chevy suburban
Start a new topic in the Transmission sub-forum, call it "NV3500/4500 Swap" or something similar. You'll get more visibility and responses while not hijacking @dasburb 's thread.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The o.p asked about multiple trans options I just jumped about for the Nav3500 spotlight … I always assumed it’s better to Not clog a sub forum with the same topic / or make multiple topics that are being covered more-less when a new person has ironically the same interest and questions for the same situation. That’s why I chimed in..seeing this post. I tried to change around my specific question and curiosity some ..So My entire fault “. Nothing was hijacked if that’s the way it looks we’re all here to share the informational Wealth.
I’ll post the same question in a new post

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The o.p asked about multiple trans options I just jumped about for the Nav3500 spotlight … I always assumed it’s better to Not clog a sub forum with the same topic / or make multiple topics that are being covered more-less when a new person has ironically the same interest and questions for the same situation. That’s why I chimed in..seeing this post. I tried to change around my specific question and curiosity some ..So My entire fault “. Nothing was hijacked if that’s the way it looks we’re all here to share the informational Wealth.
I’ll post the same question in a new post
Your question is asking about a very specific type of swap and deserves its own thread so you dont have to sift through responses not germaine to your question whereas the OP is asking about options to replace his 4L60E trans, the best of which is to simply overhaul his existing transmission.