1997 Chevy Suburban K1500 P0420

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I see from this data is that the fuel trim is within an acceptable range even while I've got the pedal to the floor. It appears that the upstream sensors are doing their jobs (for the most part) although maybe tending to read more rich. The downstream sensors are trying to hang in there but appear to follow the trends of the upstreams - very much like the cats aren't working quite right.

Hello again Big_Red9,

The short answer is that once you get past a certain demand for power, on purpose the system goes from emissions-oriented
Closed Loop to performance-oriented Open Loop in what is referred to as PE (Power Enrichment) mode. Instead of trying to
achieve a closed-loop 14.7:1 (stoich) Air/Fuel ratio for minimum emissions, the computer reads all the sensors
(MAF, MAP, TPS, IAT, ECT, RPM, etc) and then sets the spark advance for max power (while listening to the Knock Sensor)
...and now fueling for a mid 12/low 13 A/F ratio goal.

In English, your O2 sensors are showing that your Open Loop operation is actually working as advertised. Pretty neat!

The abnormality is what happens directly after I get to normal highway driving after this heavy load event. The O2 sensors trail off to be almost the exact same readings that suggest an almost nonexistent level of O2. It's not shown in the attached pictures, but the O2 readings return to fluctuating after a few minutes.

Real strange! Hopefully this data is screaming something that someone with more technical know-how can hear. Thoughts?

P.S.
On this trip ol' Big Red also reached 160,000 miles so wish her a happy 160.

Again, once you're done flogging your faithful travel companion, your O2
sensors should start toggling again in part-throttle closed-loop mode.

EDIT x 2: If it took minutes for the O2 sensors to return to toggling post heavy demand
session, then this is not the expected behavior? I looked through your parts list, but
didn't see any mention of replacing the upstream O2 sensors? Any idea how old
they are? Or if you did change them, what brand did you use, and how many miles
are on them?

Do yourself a favor and get your own copy of the FSM, where you will be regaled with
descriptions about how all this is supposed to work. Meanwhile, hopefully some of our
crackerjack EFI tuning gurus will stumble across this thread and add their value - they
are fun to watch in action. Good stuff!

(Disclaimer: I'm an old carb guy, pretty comfortable with the underlying theory, but still
not quite yet sitting at the cool kids table with all this EFI/ECU/ECM/PCM/VCM mumbo-jumbo. :0)

But I'm confident that once all this gets kicked around and properly aired out that this
is gonna get fixed up to everyone's mutual satisfaction.

Thanks for the status update. No pressure, but I'm looking forward to
you being able to share some misbehavior data. And at some point, maybe
some individual cylinder misfire counts also?

Cheers --

Last edited:

Big_Red9

Reaction score
Hello Road Trip,

By coincidence we've been huddling around another member's truck with a similar issue.
Because of the fuel trims the decision was made to take the running truck down and
replace the intake manifold gaskets. (Common Vortec issue.) Everything went to plan,
he stuffs the distributor back in, but now a hard no start?

What he did shouldn't have caused any starting issue? Sure enough, after some head
scratching & a hard look at all the bits, if you follow this link you can see a subtle-looking
failure that was the root cause: (No start traced to dizzy cap failure)

And swapping in another cap cured the no-start, and he's back in the hunt. Don't know
what brand cap & rotor you are running, but there's lots of reported disappointment in this area.
(As in, high voltage stuff goes bad way too soon, Vortec dizzys cause weird problems and
are always suspect on the weird problems, etc.)
Here's pics I took last night of my cap and rotor. I didn't see any sign of damage on either part, but what's tough to see in the picture or the cap is some white flaky stuff on the terminals. The rotor's copper tab also looks to have some minor corrosion at the end of it. Not pristine but is that in poor enough condition to be the culprit? I'd have to look back in my log to see exactly how long ago those were replaced but it's been probably ~2K miles. Those are Standard Ignition brand parts (O'Reilly brand).

You must be registered for see images attach

This issue crops up from time to time. The affordable stuff calls *all* misfires a P0300.
A true P0300 is a valid, global fail, and sends us down a specific path. At the same time,
an accurate P0301/302/303/304/305/306/307/308 allows us to really focus on what's right
vs what's wrong. At some point, the decision becomes whether to load the parts blunderbuss
for the all-inclusive scatter shot vs. the one-time investment in stepping up to a 'report a
misfire down to an individual cylinder' capable scan tool.

I am open to any recommendations for such a scan tool. If anyone has been using one that is reputable/somewhat affordable for an average DIYer, please let me know!

OK, so I don't want to be guilty of leading the witness, but then again just to let you know
what is over the troubleshooting horizon, there is a very specific scenario where a SBC in
a GMT400 (among other GM lines) will misfire, but *only* under heavy loads, like climbing a
grade, pulling a trailer, etc. And this specific failure footprint only applies when every other
normal tune up part is as new, the engine never misfires at any other time, the compression
test and leakdown tests are good, and in short there's no reason for this to occur.

If this sounds like what you are up against, then the GM TSB PIP3081, dated 7/3/2004**
would be worth a read for comprehension:

I appreciate you letting me know what may be over the horizon. Very good info to know, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

The short answer is that once you get past a certain demand for power, on purpose the system goes from emissions-oriented
Closed Loop to performance-oriented Open Loop in what is referred to as PE (Power Enrichment) mode. Instead of trying to
achieve a closed-loop 14.7:1 (stoich) Air/Fuel ratio for minimum emissions, the computer reads all the sensors
(MAF, MAP, TPS, IAT, ECT, RPM, etc) and then sets the spark advance for max power (while listening to the Knock Sensor)
...and now fueling for a mid 12/low 13 A/F ratio goal.

Interesting, I'm tempted to retest that and see if it does go into open loop (my scan tool is able to provide that status). I am not a huge fan of trying to break my car though, so I'll likely hold off on that.

EDIT x 2: If it took minutes for the O2 sensors to return to toggling post heavy demand
session, then this is not the expected behavior? I looked through your parts list, but
didn't see any mention of replacing the upstream O2 sensors? Any idea how old
they are? Or if you did change them, what brand did you use, and how many miles
are on them?

I replaced the bank 2 downstream sensor. I have a new sensor on-hand for the to replace the other downstream one. I'll have to look back at the brand I used for the first one. But the one I have on-hand is an "ULTRA-POWER". Both upstream sensors are original as far as I know. As an fyi, this car was originally from Seattle so I bought it last fall without any rust and it looks great underneath. This past weekend I checked the harness voltages going to each sensor. All 4 had 12V.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies.

Big_Red9

Reaction score
Do you have emissions testing there? If not I would remove the cats.
The emissions testing in my area is a visual inspection of all emissions related components so if I remove them it would fail inspection. There's probably some work-arounds that can be done, but I am uninterested in pursuing those options at this point - it would probably be more work than finding the actual problem all things considered.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hello Road Trip,

Here's pics I took last night of my cap and rotor. I didn't see any sign of damage on either part, but what's tough to see in the picture or the cap is some white flaky stuff on the terminals. The rotor's copper tab also looks to have some minor corrosion at the end of it. Not pristine but is that in poor enough condition to be the culprit? I'd have to look back in my log to see exactly how long ago those were replaced but it's been probably ~2K miles. Those are Standard Ignition brand parts (O'Reilly brand).

I am open to any recommendations for such a scan tool. If anyone has been using one that is reputable/somewhat affordable for an average DIYer, please let me know!

I appreciate you letting me know what may be over the horizon. Very good info to know, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Interesting, I'm tempted to retest that and see if it does go into open loop (my scan tool is able to provide that status). I am not a huge fan of trying to break my car though, so I'll likely hold off on that.

I replaced the bank 2 downstream sensor. I have a new sensor on-hand for the to replace the other downstream one. I'll have to look back at the brand I used for the first one. But the one I have on-hand is an "ULTRA-POWER". Both upstream sensors are original as far as I know. As an fyi, this car was originally from Seattle so I bought it last fall without any rust and it looks great underneath. This past weekend I checked the harness voltages going to each sensor. All 4 had 12V.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies.
Just a thought here: if you're getting humidity and moisture inside the cap bad enough to get this serious of corrosion, this quickly...check to see if the distributor housing has vents, and if it does, are they clogged?
I would recommend the vented cap from United Motor Products. It's made of higher quality plastic and has brass contacts. Rock Auto has them in a set with the matching rotor, also with brass contacts, for a little cheaper than buying both parts individually. Installing these did wonders for my trucks; they can be started and driven even in pouring rain or in foggy conditions, that would not have been possible before. Houston, Texas area is frequently humid, so I think that's good testing/proving conditions for this upgrade.

Big_Red9

Reaction score
Just a thought here: if you're getting humidity and moisture inside the cap bad enough to get this serious of corrosion, this quickly...check to see if the distributor housing has vents, and if it does, are they clogged?
I would recommend the vented cap from United Motor Products. It's made of higher quality plastic and has brass contacts. Rock Auto has them in a set with the matching rotor, also with brass contacts, for a little cheaper than buying both parts individually. Installing these did wonders for my trucks; they can be started and driven even in pouring rain or in foggy conditions, that would not have been possible before. Houston, Texas area is frequently humid, so I think that's good testing/proving conditions for this upgrade.
I believe there's some sort of screen in the housing that I have never taken a good look at. I'm hesitant to load up the parts cannon again, but if the state of the cap and rotor are that concerning then I wouldn't mind doing what's best for my ol' girl. Some more context too: I live in northwest PA which is not exactly known for its humidity unlike Houston. However, a vented distributor seems like a great idea regardless of climate.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I believe there's some sort of screen in the housing that I have never taken a good look at. I'm hesitant to load up the parts cannon again, but if the state of the cap and rotor are that concerning then I wouldn't mind doing what's best for my ol' girl. Some more context too: I live in northwest PA which is not exactly known for its humidity unlike Houston. However, a vented distributor seems like a great idea regardless of climate.
The brass contacts are way better than the aluminum ones for corrosion resistance too. Distributor cap is Very important on Vortecs because a bad one can create multiple places for misfires to happen.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downstream sensors are trying to hang in there but appear to follow the trends of the upstreams - very much like the cats aren't working quite right.

You are correct. As a thought experiment, let's remove the cats and replace them with an
equal length of pipe. All upstream and downstream sensors are put back in place.

Assuming all four sensors are working properly, the downstream sensors will track exactly
with the upstream sensors, for the straight pipe is adding no value, all sensors are seeing
the same exact exhaust stream. (!)

I just wandered around in YouTube a bit, and wow there's a lot of well-intentioned yet misinformed
talent in there. Or the video had 1 lb of into in a 30 lb bucket? Anyway, I finally lucked out and
found a ~47 second video that shows live data from both an upstream vs downstream O2 sensor
separated by a healthy catalytic converter:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So given the above, I agree with your statement above. Your cats are wounded. It will be interesting
to see how much they come back (if any) once the engine is fixed. And if you continue to post
this data, and at some point you install new cats post engine repair, it will be really interesting
to compare & contrast those graphs to these.

More in a bit.

Hope this helps to explain what the data is telling us.

Cheers --

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem, new members do this all the time. These GMT400s look all the same on the outside,
but there are unique 'features' with each drivetrain variation. Us old guys are never offended if you
refresh our memory of what you're driving and/or what you are working on.

When troubleshooting an 'intermittent', you really can't truly fix it *until* you figure out how
to break it at will. (!) So reading the above is good news, for you have figured out how to
stimulate the fault at will. For a lot of really tough problems, this is the hardest step of all.

By coincidence we've been huddling around another member's truck with a similar issue.
Because of the fuel trims the decision was made to take the running truck down and
replace the intake manifold gaskets. (Common Vortec issue.) Everything went to plan,
he stuffs the distributor back in, but now a hard no start?

What he did shouldn't have caused any starting issue? Sure enough, after some head
scratching & a hard look at all the bits, if you follow this link you can see a subtle-looking
failure that was the root cause: (No start traced to dizzy cap failure)

And swapping in another cap cured the no-start, and he's back in the hunt. Don't know
what brand cap & rotor you are running, but there's lots of reported disappointment in this area.
(As in, high voltage stuff goes bad way too soon, Vortec dizzys cause weird problems and
are always suspect on the weird problems, etc.)

This issue crops up from time to time. The affordable stuff calls *all* misfires a P0300.
A true P0300 is a valid, global fail, and sends us down a specific path. At the same time,
an accurate P0301/302/303/304/305/306/307/308 allows us to really focus on what's right
vs what's wrong. At some point, the decision becomes whether to load the parts blunderbuss
for the all-inclusive scatter shot vs. the one-time investment in stepping up to a 'report a
misfire down to an individual cylinder' capable scan tool.

Solid diagnostic info - copy all.

OK, so I don't want to be guilty of leading the witness, but then again just to let you know
what is over the troubleshooting horizon, there is a very specific scenario where a SBC in
a GMT400 (among other GM lines) will misfire, but *only* under heavy loads, like climbing a
grade, pulling a trailer, etc. And this specific failure footprint only applies when every other
normal tune up part is as new, the engine never misfires at any other time, the compression
test and leakdown tests are good, and in short there's no reason for this to occur.

If this sounds like what you are up against, then the GM TSB PIP3081, dated 7/3/2004**
would be worth a read for comprehension:
(GM Technical Service Bulletin on valve stems sticking when SBCs are flogged, leading to misfire)

And for a hint as to how this could possibly happen, check out how the SBC cylinder heads have an
architectural hot spot designed into the center of the cylinder heads:

(For comparison purposes, check out the BBC cylinder head symmetrical exhaust layout photo attached below.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is off the troubleshooting table until such time as every other possible
misfire under load possibility has been eliminated. But it's always good to know what the 'over the horizon'
worst-case scenario is out there. With any luck we will figure out a fix short of going there.

Excellent. If you could organize them exactly as they are arranged geographically in your
engine bay this would help us prove/disprove typical failure patterns. (Example)

The FSMs are the definitive baseline for most everyone in here. Not perfect, but 99.9% better
than just winging it or using the off-brand manuals. Note: The '97 manual might be a few replies
in, but the '98 Manuals are there right at the beginning, and should prove to be helpful.
(GMT400 FSM cache)

Just to give you a taste of how nice it is to have the shop manuals downloaded, here's what the (same) '99 FSM shows
for the electrical wiring between the VCM & the IAC. I would give every inch of those wires a careful visual inspection.

This is definitely one of those cases where you always fix the obvious first, and oftentimes that will
also clear up the exotic failures. Even if we can't explain exactly why it happened. :0)

Summary: I'm throwing out all of the above purely as food for troubleshooting thought.

And we will need to verify that everything in the engine bay is good to excellent, including headroom
for insurance. (Think cooling system's ability to get rid of even more heat than you are generating
while flogging the old girl up the mountain pass with your trailer full of toys on the back.)

And at some point we may need to up our diagnostic toolage in order to crack this difficult nut.

Hope I was clear with what I'm trying to share. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate.

I'm off to read what popped up while I was writing my term paper. :)

Cheers --

(**Located and shared by @socal k1500 - tip of the hat in his general direction :0)
My main take away from this forum is that the 5.7 vortec is very sensitive on the ignition side of things. Having myself come from owning gmt800s and toyotas my whole life i didnt buy into the "only buy oem or better quality" for the ignition components. But having gone through 1 dizzy, and 5 different cap and rotors since 2019 it is worth every penny to spend up on these components

Big_Red9

Reaction score
After seeing everyone's input here today I decided to pony-up and buy a United Motor Products premium cap and rotor from RockAuto. It'll be here by Monday and I will follow the installation with some road testing. Before then (maybe tonight) I'll post some pictures of my spark plugs. Stay tuned!