90 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the truck for a drive to get some gas over the weekend and on my way back my battery gauge plummeted so I did my best to get home before it died. Took me a bit to figure out the issue only to find the signal wire for the alternator to charge the battery was unplugged. Idk why anyone would unplug that that but I keep finding more and more things unplugged or disconnected that don’t make sense. Well plugged it in, jumped the truck with our Tahoe and it fired right up. I let it run for a bit but later took the battery to O’Reillys and had them recharge it.

All in all she’s good again, for now. Well it still has some sort of knock. I made a deal with a buddy that I’d do some carpentry work in his house in exchange for helping me with the motor. Not much of a timeline on that yet but naturally I’ll update as soon we dig into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my horn button doesn’t work. It didn’t when I bought the truck. Also my ignition cylinder does this cool thing where it slides out with the key still in it.

I watched a fellow members video on how to dissemble the steering column and found some surprises. For instance there’s no c-clip on the main shaft, no turn signal cam, a missing torx screw (which I actually found inside th column cover), and the screw that secures the ignition cylinder into the column was not only missing but the hole in the column it goes in was completely destroyed.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’ll update when I’ve got it all back together

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Progress is being made but it’s not all buttoned up yet. I got the new (to me) top portion of the column on, the high beam switch is tricky af. I tried holding it in place but failed to do so. My stalk also gave me a lot of trouble. Lord knows when the last time it was removed.

As you can see here I’ve got the bolt that holds my ignition cylinder in place. I’ve also installed the white clip that’ll help make the horn work.

I need to replace my turn signal cam. It’s probably 30 years old like the truck and the plug side is very brittle. It keeps breaking apart as I try snaking it through the column.

Luckily for me a good friend has a bunch of spare GM parts that he has generously given me along with a lot of very useful advice while I take on this project. So I am very grateful to have him as a friend.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

We are back in business! Horn works, signals & high beams work, door chime works, and my ignition cylinder stays in the column!

Only thing is my steering wheel isn’t straight anymore but I’ll save that for another day when I have an extra set of hands.

Ended up having to replace the metal piece that locks the steering wheel in place. Between me compressing the spring and the previous owner forcing it on without a c-clip it got pretty tweaked. Luckily that friend had a spare. Also replaced my turn signal cam seeing as mine was so brittle it fell apart when I tried to put it back through the column.

All in all I feel accomplished. I’ve never done anything like this before and I’ve learned a lot from it.

On another note. I sprayed one of my flares grey to see how I like and I gotta say I’m digging this color over the champagne.

Onward & upward!

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I needed more dip so I figured that was a good enough excuse to take the truck out. She looks good wet lol actually makes the paint look decent. Haha I keep forgetting to get that last strip off the p/s door.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I needed more dip so I figured that qaa. Food enough excuse to take the truck out. She looks good wet lol actually makes the paint look decent. Haha I keep forgetting to get that last strip off the p/s door.

Oh yes.. love the wet look

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally got around to running the wiring harness for a pair of 3x4” rectangular auxiliary lights I had laying around. They’re wired independently to a switch so I can use them any time I want. I really didn’t want to drill any holes in the dash so I pulled the ashtray out and have the switch sitting inside the door. So at least it’s tucked away and convenient when I wanna flip them on. I just have to remember to turn them off when I get out of the truck lol

Just the lights

The lights & low beams.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn’t this truck on Facebook marketplace at one time it looks familiar. I too am from NC I live in High Point

It was! I bought it off facebook marketplace. It was in eastern Carolina near the VA border. When I saw what it was and what he was asking I messaged the seller Tuesday and took it home Saturday haha

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

A buddy with an eraser wheel came over this weekend and got all the glue off the truck from the side trim.

Then I decided to plastidip the rockers and flares Mayte grey. It’s a good temporary look until I do the body work.

I also made my own SS style front emblem. I didn’t want to pay for a real one. I wrapped the whole emblem in 3M gloss black vinyl, then used red pin stripe on the border and voila.

Anzo OEM style clear corners have been ordered.