90 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be looking for a solid 350 for it. Even a 305 would be an improvement. If you round up a V8 you will need the motor mount out of a V8 version so a good junkyard will be your friend. I was really lucky with the motor in mine (pause to knock on wood) but you may well have rod issue and if so you get an opportunity to fix it right and improve at the same time. Good luck!

By the way, this is what the blower resistor looks like. If you blower looses a speed setting (or all of them except high like mine did) this is the fix. It resides behind the glove box.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well luckily for all of you for the time being I’m going to repair the 4.3 I have or get a long block 4.3 and later down the line change the motor to something LS based.

The heater works great. I just needed to know what that was because I dropped a bulb behind it and didn’t wanna yank it out without knowing what I was yanking on lol.

I changed the oil today in the truck. No metal in the oil and none in the filter. Oil pressure was good. So I’m leaning towards a bolt on the flywheel may be coming out but I have still have don’t have a positive answer. I drove it around for a bit after the oil change and let it idle for a while. The knocking sound was so inconsistent. It would fade in and out. For a bit after it was warm it went away all together. So I’m pretty confused lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I attempted to restore my headlights and signal lenses today with minimal results. While there is an improvement they’re shot. All 4 housings have condensation inside them so later down the line I’ll buy all new ones. I haven’t decided whether to go the OE style with clear sides or black housings and black & crystal sides. I also wrapped my bowtie with some digital camouflage material I had left over from a previous job I’d done.

I also painted my back bumper flat black. Makes it blend in better.

Flares are completed. Almost all the moldings are off.

Next is paint the front bumper and tear apart the motor to find the issue

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlights are such a PITA on these trucks, I’ll probably fork over the money for a GM set next time since I’ve never found an aftermarket set that fits right or lasts more than a year or so without leaking or hazing over. Some report good results with the Spyder ones, though.

On that back bumper, you can sometimes loosen the bumper bracket bolts, shift it back into alignment and retighten with decent results. Looks like the previous owner tapped something with it.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always say hold on to your universal aftermarket parts because you never know when you’re gonna need or want them in the future. Well over the years I’ve held onto the aftermarket radios I’ve had and it has served me well.

With a wiring harness I found at Walmart and some soldering the truck finally has a working radio. No more hole in the dash!! 3 out of the 4 speakers work. Front passenger speaker appears to be out but that can wait.

A buddy lent me a scope camera so I can fish around my transmission and look for any cracks or defects that may be causing what sounds like a rod knock. I’ll let y’all know what I find. Fingers crossed it’s something along those lines and the motor is good.

SouthernYankee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the junkyard today for the hell of it and ended up with a different style horn button that I’ve been trying to find without spending a lot, 2 new (to me) Pioneer 4x6” speakers, and a junction box cover for under the hood. Someone apparently took the cover off and never put it back on. $20 total well spent!