90-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned Trans Am's and Mustangs for the better part of my life, Most recently was a 2017 GT350. I sold that 2 years ago to buy something I've wanted since i was younger, a regular cab short bed OBS Chevy. I wasn't extremely picky on the looks, all I cared about was a v8 and a manual transmission, I can take it from there.
after looking at Facebook marketplace for a few weeks I finally found something that was promising, a 1990 that was advertised to have a 383 and a 5 speed, excellent both boxes checked. I drove over 2 hours to look at it. I purposefully didn't bring cash because I wanted to think it over and not be compelled to buy it because I was there.

I arrived early, waited for about 30 minutes, a nice older guy showed up with what looked like an honest truck. it was just like the photos (on the outside). I looked it over, showed to have an oil leak I was told was the valve cover gaskets (spoiler alert it wasn't). let the guy take me on a quick ride to see if it was riding and driving okay. fast-forward a few days, I drove the two hours back and bought it.

to be continued...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705945449561.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705945449561.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 55
  • FB_IMG_1705945456991.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705945456991.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
  • FB_IMG_1705945442671.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705945442671.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 53

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been 1 hour and 35 minutes since you said "to be continued...." Well?
I ran out of time yesterday, I'll add more as I find more of the progress pictures.
edit, this is also a 2+ year long story, so it might take a couple of days to get it all out.

Thanks for reading :cheers:

Last edited:

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part II Discovery.

I started looking this thing over with a fine tooth comb. I discovered it had a flamethrower kit (it didn't work, or I couldn't get it to work). everything in the cab was sticky or covered in Amour all. The sliding back window latch was busted, tint peeling, the new truck goggles were off, it had only been 3 weeks or so and I am really noticing the oil puddle under the truck get larger and larger. more and more things are standing out as just not as nice as I thought.

The truck has a smell, I cleaned everything the floor mat the seats scrubbed the door panels, still a hint of mold that just wont go away. More on that later.

Looking under the dash and under the truck I start finding a lot of extra wiring, Aftermarket alarm system, :thumbsdown:. I see power going into the doors, I'm assuming its for power locks (aftermarket obviously because its a manual window manual lock truck from the factory).

I started ordering parts, Oil and filter, valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, cap and rotor first on the list. it was definitely leaking from the valve covers as stated by the previous owner. Come to find out was also leaking from the intake china wall, the rear main, oil pan gasket, fuel pump gasket and the timing cover oil filter housing, if it could leak oil it was.

after installing the valve cover gaskets and plug/wires I just started making a plan to re do all the gaskets one by one until it sort of seals up, I was just going to leave the rear main until one day the motor had to come out for whatever reason.

Fast forward 2 months, I'm still driving it and having a lot of fun, a guy in a square body pulls up next to me at a light, I'm going to show him what's what. I put it in first, took off! shifted second and BOOM transmission make a LOUD noise, the guy in the square body slowed down to make sure it was still running I hung my head and drove home without second gear.

Can I get an F in the chat for the NV3500?

Stay tuned for part III...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part III the reason.

I spoke earlier about "whatever reason I needed to pull the engine", now with a leaky engine and a broken transmission there's no other good reason I could think of...

Now I am on the hunt for a replacement transmission, after the NV3500 not lasting with me more than 3 months, I started looking into something a little more robust. I looked at other 5 speeds, F body 6 speeds, and what it took to adapt those to the Gen 1 SBC, and not have the shifter under the seat (bench seat truck). Before I bought this I had no idea how to work on a small block Chevy, or ever done any major repair of a pushrod motor. (I can still rebuild a modular ford in my sleep)

I am not sure at this point where to go with the transmission, looking at options and budget.

Lets see what parts are on the motor, that I can see.
Holley 770 street avenger carb
procomp single plane intake
zero markings I can see of the aftermarket heads, they are aluminum. (I'm assuming they are Ebay specials just based on the intake choice)
MSD HEI distributor
Unknown brand of radiator (likely a bigger factory unit from something else)
had a factory fan shroud, factory water pump driven fan.
motor had a very small cam sound at idle.
I cant see any markings on the shorty headers

Its time to rip it all out!!!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow yes I’ve been there for once! I bought a 80 Silverado that had a “rebuilt” 350 and “rebuilt” TH-400. He even showed me the receipts for $11,000 into the engine and trans. I test drove it and it was great!!! Paid him $6000 for the truck. 80 camper special 3/4 ton 4x4 gloss black and within 200 miles the emgine was knocking and the trans was slipping. So I feel ya!

That’s when I bought my 91 gmc 2500 bone stock miled out but reliable…

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When buying a used vehicle, I have two golden rules: 1. I will not buy if engine compartment has been detailed-That hides things. 2. I buy as close to home as possible-That is because I will not buy unless I can take home and put on ramps and pull wheels and give it a thorough inspection. If I am not allowed to inspect, the visit to see vehicle is over.

Cheezebandit

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh wow yes I’ve been there for once! I bought a 80 Silverado that had a “rebuilt” 350 and “rebuilt” TH-400. He even showed me the receipts for $11,000 into the engine and trans. I test drove it and it was great!!! Paid him $6000 for the truck. 80 camper special 3/4 ton 4x4 gloss black and within 200 miles the emgine was knocking and the trans was slipping. So I feel ya!

That’s when I bought my 91 gmc 2500 bone stock miled out but reliable…
I had a handful of receipts from the truck the engine is one of the receipts I had. I never just take their word for it when it claims it has a 383 from 2 owners ago. I just bought it as though it had a mild 350 and some flowmasters. there's just no physical way to tell from the outside. I was fully prepared to not find a 383 when breaking it down.

When buying a used vehicle, I have two golden rules: 1. I will not buy if engine compartment has been detailed-That hides things. 2. I buy as close to home as possible-That is because I will not buy unless I can take home and put on ramps and pull wheels and give it a thorough inspection. If I am not allowed to inspect, the visit to see vehicle is over.
I purchased it knowing I was going to find Issues, when I looked it over I was looking for anything that wouldn't allow me the 2 hour trip home. once its home I can handle any issue it might have. I bought it specifically as a project that currently ran and drove. the engine bay wasn't detailed it was just mostly painted black, and I don't see very well.

My main goal was to buy a truck that was 95% there ran and drove no major body damage. this truck was exactly that. couple of small dings zero dents and cruised at 80 MPH for 2 hours with only an oil leak and vague steering.

Last edited: